Yellow bump update!

shawnateerow

Location (City and/or State)
Maurice
So I managed to find another vet in town that deals with exotics through my regular vet and I was more than pleased with this guy. The moment I said "yellow bumps" he knew exactly what I was talking about. He has raised and bred sulcatas for years, and has a lot of personal experience with it. He spent nearly an hour explaining it to me..I wish that I could tell all of this in his words and terminology, but I can't so just bear with me.

He has had a lot of babies with this condition, and lost a lot of them, but also has some that are full grown that have gotten through it..that's my glass half full ? he has seen it from different breeders, locations, and in different species..all with the same issues. He seems to think it could be congenital, passed from mom to the egg and that it is a phase. These granulomas (yellow bumps) are a symptom and likely pop up internally where we can't see, which causes some of the other issues..trouble swallowing, digesting, etc. With this, they are immunocompramised when they are young, making them more susceptible to all of these other infections and issues. In his experience, the bumps are a phase, and if you can get them through it they will be fine and can grow to a healthy adult once they get past that point. He said that threshold could be a few months. He said that none of the antibiotics or treatments that he has tried have gotten rid of it, but treating the symptoms and keeping them eating, warm hydrated, etc are the best chance of getting them past it.

He is in the process of getting the equipment to do his own testing in house and try to figure this out. He is going to take a live sample of one of the granulomas and grow the cultures so that he can test it and figure out what will kill it. Both of my babies yellow bumps are gone for now, but if one pops up I will bring them to him to get a sample. If anyone knows anyone around lafayette, la with babies with the yellow bumps please reach out so I can let him know.

Like I said, I wish I could explain his experience in his words,, but i just wanted to relay the bits of info that i managed to get.. it warms my heart having met a local vet that is as determined for answers as we all are

zovick

10 Year Member!
So I managed to find another vet in town that deals with exotics through my regular vet and I was more than pleased with this guy. The moment I said "yellow bumps" he knew exactly what I was talking about. He has raised and bred sulcatas for years, and has a lot of personal experience with it. He spent nearly an hour explaining it to me..I wish that I could tell all of this in his words and terminology, but I can't so just bear with me.

He has had a lot of babies with this condition, and lost a lot of them, but also has some that are full grown that have gotten through it..that's my glass half full ? he has seen it from different breeders, locations, and in different species..all with the same issues. He seems to think it could be congenital, passed from mom to the egg and that it is a phase. These granulomas (yellow bumps) are a symptom and likely pop up internally where we can't see, which causes some of the other issues..trouble swallowing, digesting, etc. With this, they are immunocompramised when they are young, making them more susceptible to all of these other infections and issues. In his experience, the bumps are a phase, and if you can get them through it they will be fine and can grow to a healthy adult once they get past that point. He said that threshold could be a few months. He said that none of the antibiotics or treatments that he has tried have gotten rid of it, but treating the symptoms and keeping them eating, warm hydrated, etc are the best chance of getting them past it.

He is in the process of getting the equipment to do his own testing in house and try to figure this out. He is going to take a live sample of one of the granulomas and grow the cultures so that he can test it and figure out what will kill it. Both of my babies yellow bumps are gone for now, but if one pops up I will bring them to him to get a sample. If anyone knows anyone around lafayette, la with babies with the yellow bumps please reach out so I can let him know.

Like I said, I wish I could explain his experience in his words,, but i just wanted to relay the bits of info that i managed to get.. it warms my heart having met a local vet that is as determined for answers as we all are
Good that you found this vet.

Did he happen to say whether he thought it would be wise to breed the animals which have survived this condition? I would think he would say it is not, since he believes that it can be passed from the mother to her offspring through the eggs. Next time you see him ask him if he would breed the tortoises which have survived or whether he feels they are "carriers" who could pass it to their offspring (or even to other tortoises). If not breedable, does he recommend neutering them?

Food for thought, IMHO.

zovick

10 Year Member!

On another note, did this vet see your tortoise in person or not? If so, what was his assessment of the lower jaw with the exposed bone?

shawnateerow

Maurice
Good that you found this vet.

Did he happen to say whether he thought it would be wise to breed the animals which have survived this condition? I would think he would say it is not, since he believes that it can be passed from the mother to her offspring through the eggs. Next time you see him ask him if he would breed the tortoises which have survived or whether he feels they are "carriers" who could pass it to their offspring (or even to other tortoises). If not breedable, does he recommend neutering them?

Food for thought, IMHO.

I most certainly will. I am supposed to call him Tuesday with an update on Bonnie and I will ask then

shawnateerow

Maurice
On another note, did this vet see your tortoise in person or not? If so, what was his assessment of the lower jaw with the exposed bone?

Yes, in person. He said that he think it it similar to how their skin sloughs off in babies with this condition and that it looked alright and should grow back in time. He told me to keep feeding her with the dropper and to try to soak some mazuri and puree that so she would get more nutrients from that than the baby food. He gave me antibiotic eye drops for 3x a day for her bad eye and said it looked a little infected. He's going to look into getting some terramycin powder for soaks and said that her shell looks fine and that she feels good and solid

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes, in person. He said that he think it it similar to how their skin sloughs off in babies with this condition and that it looked alright and should grow back in time. He told me to keep feeding her with the dropper and to try to soak some mazuri and puree that so she would get more nutrients from that than the baby food. He gave me antibiotic eye drops for 3x a day for her bad eye and said it looked a little infected. He's going to look into getting some terramycin powder for soaks and said that her shell looks fine and that she feels good and solid
Oh, good. I agree with the assessment of the jaw and with the use of the eye drops and the terramycin. It seems that you did find a very good vet for your tortoise.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
we DO KNOW these are contagious though thats what the concerning part is. we know this 100% without question. seen it first hand and have people who added a healthy baby in with ones who had the bumps CLEARED up and then that one came down with them. and i personally have 3 who did not grow (almost 10 months old still 79 grams will not gain weight and we are not new to sulcata i have 11 others all the way up to over 50lbs right now) from them and know of 4 others with them cleared up who more then 8 months later are also not growing at all.

shawnateerow

Maurice
we DO KNOW these are contagious though thats what the concerning part is. we know this 100% without question. seen it first hand and have people who added a healthy baby in with ones who had the bumps CLEARED up and then that one came down with them. and i personally have 3 who did not grow (almost 10 months old still 79 grams will not gain weight and we are not new to sulcata i have 11 others all the way up to over 50lbs right now) from them and know of 4 others with them cleared up who more then 8 months later are also not growing at all.

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to argue, just passing on bits of info that he told me.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
i didnt take it that way at all i was simply stating we know 100% this is not entirely congenital. perhaps it CAN be but we know without a doubt at all that this is in fact highly contagious up to weeks later or possible more. i am not saying it is 100% not at all congenital and it may in part be but with as contagious as this is showing it is, its very dangerous. and if it turns out to be a form of can-v say as an example it can infect many others people may have. i have 2 babies hopefully going to be shipped in to the lab we work with asap who have them and this lab is very well known and one of their specialties is torts and their diseases. the issue is if this turns out to be say can-v it has no cure nor does crypto and it is very dangerous to keep animals alive with either of these conditions which sucks. trust me we had 3 i personally bought from someone i thought was a respected breeder all three came down with this about three weeks later. one died around the 6 month mark, the other 2 are eating like crazy and not gaining literally any weight at all. no other symptoms at all. its like they are frozen in time. you are def welcome to pass that one to him and im very happy to share details of what we find with him. the more people who know what this is and especially IF its something crazy bad, the better. i just want to make sure people know the facts that this can be spread and if you see this you need to be very careful and take proper cleaning measures and do not ever touch any other one without proper disinfection. and that this is not only congenital. again i dont mean to sound like i took it that way but i dont want people to just ignore how serious this may end up being. on the other hand i do however appreciate all info and im also very happy to talk with him if he would ever like to about our findings.

Last edited:

shawnateerow

Maurice
i didnt take it that way at all i was simply stating we know 100% this is not entirely congenital. perhaps it CAN be but we know without a doubt at all that this is in fact highly contagious up to weeks later or possible more. i am not saying it is 100% not at all congenital and it may in part be but with as contagious as this is showing it is, its very dangerous. and if it turns out to be a form of can-v say as an example it can infect many others people may have. i have 2 babies hopefully going to be shipped in to the lab we work with asap who have them and this lab is very well known and one of their specialties is torts and their diseases. the issue is if this turns out to be say can-v it has no cure nor does crypto and it is very dangerous to keep animals alive with either of these conditions which sucks. trust me we had 3 i personally bought from someone i thought was a respected breeder all three came down with this about three weeks later. one died around the 6 month mark, the other 2 are eating like crazy and not gaining literally any weight at all. no other symptoms at all. its like they are frozen in time. you are def welcome to pass that one to him and im very happy to share details of what we find with him. the more people who know what this is and especially IF its something crazy bad, the better. i just want to make sure people know the facts that this can be spread and if you see this you need to be very careful and take proper cleaning measures and do not ever touch any other one without proper disinfection. and that this is not only congenital. again i dont mean to sound like i took it that way but i dont want people to just ignore how serious this may end up being. on the other hand i do however appreciate all info and im also very happy to talk with him if he would ever like to about our findings.

I will definitely pass on any findings, please keep me posted. Hes very determined to figure this thing out also. I hope more like yall and him get on board too, the more brains the better?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
IF he would like to contact me for ANYTHING related to this case please shoot me a message and i will give you all my personal info for him to get with me. im very happy to speak directly to him.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
there is a bacterial infection in turtles sounds similaar to what's been described , yellow bumps , it's called austwickiaa chelonae .......

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
We have many more questions than answers right now. We're hoping the necropsy and laboratory results will give us more to work with.