yayeah !!! waitn on my new SRI LANKAN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
Woohoo. When will they be there? Dont forget to post pics. ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So what is the difference between the starts?
Oh and BTW congrats

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
well i sent money order off yesterday so itll take a few days to get there then itll be shipped to me,i usually order credit card but i guess the seller preffers money order,thats a first but the sellers is very reputable so i went with it,matter of fact my previous srilankans i bought off a guy were said to have previously down the line came from the same source and im pretty impressed with them so i decided to stick with this source.AND OF COURSE ILL POST PICS,ill take a few pics right out the box but i like to let her settle in and feel at home before i start taking photos of her,i believe she is a year or so old,im like a 30 year old kid waitn on a toy,lol,i cant wait,ive got indians and sri lankans,ALSO IF MY BISNESS GOES GOOD IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS ILL BE ADDING MORE TO MY STAR COLLECTION,ya i know i got problems i got star fever,i jus wish they grew faster lol i want to have babys of my own.......

River14

5 Year Member
heehaw the slower they grow the better, they aren't battery chuks. And as they dont grow very big at all it makes sense. Enjoy while they are so cute and little.

The difference between stars is subtle and as patterns are variable in all three species depending on where in their country they come from its difficult to say. But Lankans look the most like Indians. The Burmese Star has a definite net like pattern, where as the other tortoises can even look like radiated tortoises from Madagascar. They are all the most beautifully marked tortoises but not the easiest.

Hahaha some people describe their character as like that of a stone. But this is completely untrue to any Star lover who simply adores their little sleepy eyes. The magic ingredient is unfiltered real SUNSHINE, then there is no stopping them, they run like hot rods and are always wiggling to do just that.

Ps both the Indian and Sri Lankans grow more stripes as they get bigger the Burmese doesn't generaly, though I have seen a double Star Burmese look just like an Indian.

PS avoid any that have been bred for a particular pattern they are going to be hoplessly in-bred.

Ps http://fractalenlightenment.com/353/issues/smuggling-of-indian-star-tortoise http://www.chelonia.org/articles/Geleganscare.htm very informative (though the secon forgets completely seasonality)

And for weather and conditions on the ground http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai

Make it work (hehehehe)

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
SILVERSTAR said:
River14- wut did you mean avoid any that have been bred for a particular pattern?? Do you mean like selective breeding??

Hi DARYL,

I think River14 means the larger the breeding group the healthier babies will be produced. Yes, I agree with River14 and this is the reason you have to know the stock of your seller before you buy their tortoise.
The thick band star tortoises is beautiful, but are they really health? I think this is the question to Vet. Especially, when some breeders just do selective breeding and want to sell babies at high price.

River14

5 Year Member
Exacary. Selective breeding other than for genetic diversity is the ruin of any species. Any way the wild type diversity is such that they are all exquisite with out someone diluting their genes and chances of long term health.

I also consider the only reason anyone should be breeding radiated or stars at this point is to safe guard the diminishing wild populations, which almost certainly will become extinct in the wild. Ther are just too many hatchlings sloshing around on the Asian and world market for this not to happen. Miss a few generations of new wild breeders and its over.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
I Agree to an exstent but that doesnt mean that if i have a bunch of stars in the future that i would be opposed to breeding two certain torts becus of looks as a matter of fact when i do breed in the future i dont plan on jus lettn any tort breeds that wants noooo,of course im gonna let breed the tortoises that i feel are the direction i wanna go in,and the direction i wanna go in is very pretty true sri lankan hopefully unlike most any torts youll see and i also plan on breeding indians the same way,im sorry but i do plan on selective breeding for looks and it may not sit well with some but ultimitly i will be selective breeding,i want high yellows or wutever else may pop out as long as its a gourgious healthy tort.............I WANT PRETTY UNIQUE TORTS SORRY.

I will saY tho that i dont plan on intermixing species or even subspecies,i do understand alot about breeding ive done my homework and would never do that before i get the book thrown at me here,im very educated, however on time i did make a lil project where i mixed two types of pond snails one from local creek and one from the pet store and they interbred and i immediately realized that i could never let those hybrid snails back into sacramento water ways im not sure exactly wut would happen but i understand its sumwhere aloNg the lines of BIO TERRORISM.......LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.