Yard Turtle Wandering Around This Morning

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
She doesn't show herself very often but this morning she was out and about. When I first spotted her she was heading towards the house from under the cherry tree and I didn't have a camera so I went to get one and she was sitting just outside a patch of cactus.Picture 001.jpg She headed for the cactus.Picture 003.jpg As she got to the cactus I turned a hose on to let her drink because we have been dry lately, and she drank. After drinking she turned and headed away from the housePicture 006.jpg She went back to the spot that I saw her earlier this spring.Picture 008.jpg Then dissaperd in the brushPicture 009.jpgIt's good to see that it's doing fine living the wild life. I still haven't seen the one living in the side yard this spring.

Relic

Here
Always...and I mean always...a treat to discover box turtles in the wild. They are so unassuming, just quietly and stealthily living their lives, letting us peak at them on occasions. I was spraying water inside my pen the other day, when a head poked out of the monkey grass as if saying: "Hey! I'm down here - go easy!"box turtle head.jpeg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Len...no overnight rain from all of those storms? We received 2-3 in hes of hot humid rain! Nasty humid today.
Not a drop. These last couple of hot days with 90 degree plus temps haven't been bad here, always a breeze blowing across the river. We could use some rain though. Maybe today.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Always...and I mean always...a treat to discover box turtles in the wild. They are so unassuming, just quietly and stealthily living their lives, letting us peak at them on occasions. I was spraying water inside my pen the other day, when a head poked out of the monkey grass as if saying: "Hey! I'm down here - go easy!"View attachment 296516
I've been finding hatchlings in the front yard for years and always took them in. But no longer, I just let them be. Last fall I had 2 hatchlings get out of their pen and I found one of them a couple weeks ago. I brought it and and gave it a good soak then returned it to where i found it. Hatchlings can get out of the back yard but the 2 that I have seen out front are to big to get back in now. That's a great picture.

Len B

10 Year Member!
She doesn't show herself very often but this morning she was out and about. When I first spotted her she was heading towards the house from under the cherry tree and I didn't have a camera so I went to get one and she was sitting just outside a patch of cactus.View attachment 296510 She headed for the cactus.View attachment 296511 As she got to the cactus I turned a hose on to let her drink because we have been dry lately, and she drank. After drinking she turned and headed away from the houseView attachment 296513 She went back to the spot that I saw her earlier this spring.View attachment 296514 Then dissaperd in the brushIt's good to see that it's doing fine living the wild life. .Picture 003.jpgPicture 002.jpgIt's been over a year but this little one showed up just outside the front door this morning.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Crazy weather we're having. I've used no heat so far, and expect to only need kerosene lanterns through November, at least.

She's a beauty!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Crazy weather we're having. I've used no heat so far, and expect to only need kerosene lanterns through November, at least.

She's a beauty!
She is, and the perfect colors for Halloween. I have my thermostat set at 70 to help keep the house from getting to humid. After the sun is up for a while the house heats up above 70 so doesn't run much.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You sure see a lot of them Len.....I have a stick/branch pile in the corner of my yard but I never see anyone around outside here. In fact in 15 years on the peninsula, I've never seen one other than Matilda. Sad, cause I used to catch & release dozens as a kids around here.

Thanks for the pics!