Write your story of what and or how TFO helped you.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Oh man I need to pay more attention when I read I didn't even realize there was a Clark and Harry too!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Oh man I need to pay more attention when I read I didn't even realize there was a Clark and Harry too!
No worries the thread heading said Kang and Rue. So when I got the other two I couldnt add them in the subject line but decided to put them in the same thread so they would be together

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Daughter and I found Kristoff in a busy parking lot :eek: in June 2017. Of course, we couldn’t just leave him there and took him to our garden. We lived in western Turkey, which is fortunately the natural habitat for Kristoff’s species — Testudo graeca ibera. (Of course, I learned the name of his species later, on the TFO. Before that he was just a “tortoise”.) I don’t even remember what my first setup was — if any.
I started reading everything I could find about tortoises online and came to the conclusion that Kristoff needs... a tortoise friend! :eek:
Enter Elsa, previously “cared for” by an equally clueless friend.
Just before Elsa arrived, I finally discovered the TFO and started reading about soaking and diet. The day we got Elsa, her previous owners said she loved nectarines and “hated” water. :eek: I put her in a shallow dish and she must have drunk for 30 minutes non-stop!
Soon enough I learned Kristoff and Elsa shouldn’t even be kept together. (Kristoff tried to bite Elsa and chased her around, which at first I thought was “funny” and “playful”.) Then followed the creation of separate enclosures, hunt for tort-friendly weeds, dealing with ticks, hibernation.
Unfortunately, there are no CB tortoises in Turkey, and getting a CITES permit for my “wild-caught” ones proved impossible when we had to move abroad... But they both found a new home, with access to water, a large area, dandelions and clover, and I feel at peace now, even if still a little sad, that I had to give them up.
Being on the forum involved a steep learning curve, but I wouldn’t even dream of getting a new tort or turtle without being able to resort to the advice of TFO members.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Daughter and I found Kristoff in a busy parking lot :eek: in June 2017. Of course, we couldn’t just leave him there and took him to our garden. We lived in western Turkey, which is fortunately the natural habitat for Kristoff’s species — Testudo graeca ibera. (Of course, I learned the name of his species later, on the TFO. Before that he was just a “tortoise”.) I don’t even remember what my first setup was — if any.
I started reading everything I could find about tortoises online and came to the conclusion that Kristoff needs... a tortoise friend! :eek:
Enter Elsa, previously “cared for” by an equally clueless friend.
Just before Elsa arrived, I finally discovered the TFO and started reading about soaking and diet. The day we got Elsa, her previous owners said she loved nectarines and “hated” water. :eek: I put her in a shallow dish and she must have drunk for 30 minutes non-stop!
Soon enough I learned Kristoff and Elsa shouldn’t even be kept together. (Kristoff tried to bite Elsa and chased her around, which at first I thought was “funny” and “playful”.) Then followed the creation of separate enclosures, hunt for tort-friendly weeds, dealing with ticks, hibernation.
Unfortunately, there are no CB tortoises in Turkey, and getting a CITES permit for my “wild-caught” ones proved impossible when we had to move abroad... But they both found a new home, with access to water, a large area, dandelions and clover, and I feel at peace now, even if still a little sad, that I had to give them up.
Being on the forum involved a steep learning curve, but I wouldn’t even dream of getting a new tort or turtle without being able to resort to the advice of TFO members.
It is amazing how many people think of tortoises as just a tortoise. I was the same and didn't really think about how different species need different care. I love your story of Kristoff and Elsa. And I think it is one that 99% of us here most probably started off with, that is until we learnt better and saw that the information that we are learning on the TFO actually does work - results speak for themselves. Can't wait for your new story when you eventually get another one.;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A long time ago in a galaxy far away...

a British Testudo graeca graeca keeper was feeling very low as her tort, Joe, was sick. Despite having decades of experience it seemed that she wasn’t a fit carer for any tortoise as she was clearly doing it all wrong and must have been doing so for years.

And then, in separate moves, she found a vet that KNEW and TFO.

The vet pinned down the root of Joe’s problems to self-inflicted annorexia caused by excess testosterone and TFO helped with hospital quarters, patience and rebuilding my confidence. It wasn’t all my fault ... I couldn’t have prevented it.

I learned loads of new information and found that my advice could be useful to others. I made friends online.

Move on several years and it seems that Joe’s testosterone issues were probably indicative of the tumour that led to him being put to sleep last year. Devastating news that TFO again supported me with.

And I’m still here. Still willing to try to help those feeling as bewildered as I did all those years ago. Still surrounded by friends. :)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
A long time ago in a galaxy far away...

a British Testudo graeca graeca keeper was feeling very low as her tort, Joe, was sick. Despite having decades of experience it seemed that she wasn’t a fit carer for any tortoise as she was clearly doing it all wrong and must have been doing so for years.

And then, in separate moves, she found a vet that KNEW and TFO.

The vet pinned down the root of Joe’s problems to self-inflicted annorexia caused by excess testosterone and TFO helped with hospital quarters, patience and rebuilding my confidence. It wasn’t all my fault ... I couldn’t have prevented it.

I learned loads of new information and found that my advice could be useful to others. I made friends online.

Move on several years and it seems that Joe’s testosterone issues were probably indicative of the tumour that led to him being put to sleep last year. Devastating news that TFO again supported me with.

And I’m still here. Still willing to try to help those feeling as bewildered as I did all those years ago. Still surrounded by friends. :)
:(:( Such a sad story. I am really glad that you have stuck around, as TFO would not be the same without you. Also shows you that VETS and TFO can work together, if we all put our minds to it. Sharing information is the key to success. One day when and if you decide that you will get another tortoise, I look forward to seeing all the beautiful postcards that you will share. :) And thank you for sharing your story with us and for sticking around to help lots of new comers who might be experiencing that feeling of bewilderment. I remember you were one of the people who were kind enough to help me with Rue. Infact It was you who told me the sand had to go.:D And thank you for that.

SULCY

NEW YORK
I had my Sulcata for a few years and had read all kinds of info on the net and I was doing everything wrong. They come from the dessert and like it dry check bought a dehumidifier for him. Should be kept on sand check raised him on dry sand. Lettuce and fruit are ok check took care of that. They don't need water they get it from their food check a small water bowel just because. Now that I know the correct way to raise him he has grown much quicker and pyramiding has stopped no more fruit no sand and no dehumidifier lol. Was happy when I found this site and all the people willing to give advise with years of raising tortoise experience.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I had my Sulcata for a few years and had read all kinds of info on the net and I was doing everything wrong. They come from the dessert and like it dry check bought a dehumidifier for him. Should be kept on sand check raised him on dry sand. Lettuce and fruit are ok check took care of that. They don't need water they get it from their food check a small water bowel just because. Now that I know the correct way to raise him he has grown much quicker and pyramiding has stopped no more fruit no sand and no dehumidifier lol. Was happy when I found this site and all the people willing to give advise with years of raising tortoise experience.
Love the fact that you were able to stop the pyramiding and thank you for sharing your story. It is amazing how much difference the information from here makes in the growth and happiness of our tortoises.[emoji1]

daniellenc

Maryland
TFO is amaaaaazing. When my son wanted a RF I began my research and told him if he was still interested by his birthday we’d do it. I lurked here for 7 months reading and checking out other forums as well. I began buying stuff here and there and became a member last year. I wouldn’t have known about soaking and surely wouldn’t have learned about all the variety he could eat and what it looked like. This is my go to source now for all things red foot.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
A few years ago, we went on an extended vacation and put my son in charge of taking care of Charlie. He discovered TFO and started telling me things about what Charlie needed. After we came back, I joined and learned how to design Charlie's night box, which was a great improvement over what he had before and seems to have mostly stopped him from digging.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
TFO is amaaaaazing. When my son wanted a RF I began my research and told him if he was still interested by his birthday we’d do it. I lurked here for 7 months reading and checking out other forums as well. I began buying stuff here and there and became a member last year. I wouldn’t have known about soaking and surely wouldn’t have learned about all the variety he could eat and what it looked like. This is my go to source now for all things red foot.
Mine too ... well for me it is bowsprit's. But definitly my go to info site. Thank you for sharing. Soooo who looks after your RF's - you or your son or both?[emoji1]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
A few years ago, we went on an extended vacation and put my son in charge of taking care of Charlie. He discovered TFO and started telling me things about what Charlie needed. After we came back, I joined and learned how to design Charlie's night box, which was a great improvement over what he had before and seems to have mostly stopped him from digging.
Wow how's that. I wish I could get my eldest to join then maybe he would stop argueing with me about not enough ventilation and too much humidty and why do i do this or why do i do that. They do just fine in the wild without all this stuff etc. Etc. My youngest will probably be inheriting the responisibilty of looking after my torts. [emoji23] Thank you for sharing. Absolutely love the fact that your son took such interest and care of Charlie.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Wow how's that. I wish I could get my eldest to join then maybe he would stop argueing with me about not enough ventilation and too much humidty and why do i do this or why do i do that. They do just fine in the wild without all this stuff etc. Etc. My youngest will probably be inheriting the responisibilty of looking after my torts. [emoji23] Thank you for sharing. Absolutely love the fact that your son took such interest and care of Charlie.
My husband is the one that is always saying Charlie doesn't need any of this stuff - he would be fine on his own. My son learns everything on the Internet. He's the only one of my children who seems to know how to research. He will likely be the one who will inherit Charlie.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
My husband is the one that is always saying Charlie doesn't need any of this stuff - he would be fine on his own. My son learns everything on the Internet. He's the only one of my children who seems to know how to research. He will likely be the one who will inherit Charlie.
Whahaha. Hubby has probably learnt to say nothing when it comes to my animals.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We found Addy on the street, one of your typical Russian runaways. She hibernated before we could track down any owners so we just hoped for the best. When she emerged in the spring I started researching right away.

When I checked Google for help, Tortoise Forum was the first hit, lucky for me. Especially since I’d identified her as a desert tortoise. :oops:

We turned out to have a yard that was perfect and safe for a testudo but needed help with a night box, which we certainly got! The answers to my early questions were all here, as have been most of the later ones.

My poor husband does not read the forum and came home from the pet store with several overpriced and inappropriate items, which had to be returned, lol.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
We found Addy on the street, one of your typical Russian runaways. She hibernated before we could track down any owners so we just hoped for the best. When she emerged in the spring I started researching right away.

When I checked Google for help, Tortoise Forum was the first hit, lucky for me. Especially since I’d identified her as a desert tortoise. :oops:

We turned out to have a yard that was perfect and safe for a testudo but needed help with a night box, which we certainly got! The answers to my early questions were all here, as have been most of the later ones.

My poor husband does not read the forum and came home from the pet store with several overpriced and inappropriate items, which had to be returned, lol.
Lol. Well at least you got sorted from early on. And Good on your husband that he was even trying. Even if he got it wrong.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Not just have I learned how to properly take care of Opo. I have found there are a lot of committed, caring people on this forum. It really showed last week when Opo was lost for 3 days. All your thoughts of concern and advice was greatly appreciated.

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
I stumbled on to this forum when I was reasearching sulcatas. I had been wanting one for years and finally decided I was ready to get one. I spent countless hours reading on here before I purchased Tank. I joined the forum and pestered poor Tom with so many questions since he is the sulcata guru. He didn’t have babies at the time but pointed me in the direction of Lance. This forum definitely helped me buy and raise a heathy sulcata. Anytime I posted with questions many members here were quick to give there knowledge and input. Thank you TF