Write your story of what and or how TFO helped you.

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
So here goes my story. Last year on the 31 May 2017 little Rue came into my life. I had absolutely no clue on how to look after Rue. I of course googled all sorts of websites with info etc. I kept Rue in a little table with sand and grass. I thought I had it sorted. But I had sand in my table a coil uvb bulb, small little waterbowl and obviously did NOT have it sorted. I then joined TFO and had people to discuss things with. People who I could ask questions and get answers from. Have a normal discussion with. Who helped me to correct my care of Rue. Then little Kang, Clark and Harry all come into my life this year. And I have been raising them under the care advise from this forum from the get go. And let me tell you...the difference of how these three are doing and their growth rates compared to Rue (who was raised incorrectly for 6 months and was probably only surviving) is miles apart. I do not ever regret following the advise given here and will carry on doing so. Yes they may not be biologists or vets for that matter but they are caring people who most probably don't care about the owner of the tortoise but they do care about the tort. They are constantly learning in the school of life (a torts life). And for me whether they care about me or not is not an issue, but whether I can learn something to make the lives of my tortoises good and they can thrive instead of survive is the more important issue.

I hope that other people will take this opportunity to post some of their stories of how TFO helped them with the care of their tortoises. Making it possible for any newcomers to make up their own minds on whether they want to follow the advice from people who have the well being of their tortoises in their hearts.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
So here goes my story. Last year on the 31 May 2017 little Rue came into my life. I had absolutely no clue on how to look after Rue. I of course googled all sorts of websites with info etc. I kept Rue in a little table with sand and grass. I thought I had it sorted. But I had sand in my table a coil uvb bulb, small little waterbowl and obviously did NOT have it sorted. I then joined TFO and had people to discuss things with. People who I could ask questions and get answers from. Have a normal discussion with. Who helped me to correct my care of Rue. Then little Kang, Clark and Harry all come into my life this year. And I have been raising them under the care advise from this forum from the get go. And let me tell you...the difference of how these three are doing and their growth rates compared to Rue (who was raised incorrectly for 6 months and was probably only surviving) is miles apart. I do not ever regret following the advise given here and will carry on doing so. Yes they may not be biologists or vets for that matter but they are caring people who most probably don't care about the owner of the tortoise but they do care about the tort. They are constantly learning in the school of life (a torts life). And for me whether they care about me or not is not an issue, but whether I can learn something to make the lives of my tortoises good and they can thrive instead of survive is the more important issue.

I hope that other people will take this opportunity to post some of their stories of how TFO helped them with the care of their tortoises. Making it possible for any newcomers to make up their own minds on whether they want to follow the advice from people who have the well being of their tortoises in their hearts.
Great story, and great thread.[emoji106]

Jay Bagley

Michigan
The TFO has helped Sheldon and myself tremendously. I was only in Sheldon's life for about a month before me and my ex separated. For the next two and a half years he stayed with my daughter at my ex's house. I didn't know if I would ever see him again or not. Then one day my daughter said mom wants to know if you want the tortoise or not. I jumped at the opportunity to have him back. Within a week of having him back I joined the TFO, and quickly realized through their help the setup he was in was all wrong. To face facts, I was doing a lot of things wrong. I'm trying to rectify a lot of those now, I have made a lot of changes because of the recommendations from people on this forum and Sheldon is doing fantastic because of them. I tend to be somewhat of a worry wart, and no matter how silly my question is, it is always promptly answered. I think it's just a fantastic and wonderful resource, and just a great group of people. Not to get overly personal, but this place helped me out to. My friends told me I got the dream divorce, 50/50 custody, no child support, and I get my daughter for an entire week at a time. The only crappy thing was I didn't want a divorce, I actually really loved my wife. I guess where I'm going with this, talking to different people everyday on here, sharing tortoise stories, it's really helped me take my mind off my divorce and move forward in life. So just a big thanks to everyone.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Here's my story. I've been keeping water turtles for a few years and that's what originally lead me to the forum. Let me just say too, I thought I knew a lot, but quickly realized I didn't lol. I got the tortoise bug after visiting a Reptile show here in Atlanta about a year ago, and decided I had to have one. I didn't get one that day though. I wanted to do my research and have everything ready first. That's when I hit the forum hard, reading up and preparing everything I would need. I found a RF breeder who was going to be attending the next reptile show that was coming up and contacted him to bring me a RF hatchling (they are not allowed to display and sell torts under 4" at the show). The show was this past January and when I got there I started looking for the breeder and HE DIDN'T SHOW! I was kind of let down because I had my hopes up and had been preparing for months. Then I was on my way out and saw a table with 2 full grown RF'S so I went over to take a look, and lo and behold there was the cutest little RF in there with them who was about 5". He looked at me with the cutest little face, and expression like "GET ME OUTTA HERE!" The rest is history, Murphy came home with me that day. I'm glad now the breeder didn't show now. I can't thank the forum enough for helping me with him. He's happy, healthy, and growing, nice and smooth :) I really enjoy this forum and everybody on it. These are my people here, and they're wonderful, regardless of what some Silly meatball has to say! This picture is the day Murphy came home.

Attachments

• 20180106_101826.jpg
    20180106_101826.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 33

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The TFO has helped Sheldon and myself tremendously. I was only in Sheldon's life for about a month before me and my ex separated. For the next two and a half years he stayed with my daughter at my ex's house. I didn't know if I would ever see him again or not. Then one day my daughter said mom wants to know if you want the tortoise or not. I jumped at the opportunity to have him back. Within a week of having him back I joined the TFO, and quickly realized through their help the setup he was in was all wrong. To face facts, I was doing a lot of things wrong. I'm trying to rectify a lot of those now, I have made a lot of changes because of the recommendations from people on this forum and Sheldon is doing fantastic because of them. I tend to be somewhat of a worry wart, and no matter how silly my question is, it is always promptly answered. I think it's just a fantastic and wonderful resource, and just a great group of people. Not to get overly personal, but this place helped me out to. My friends told me I got the dream divorce, 50/50 custody, no child support, and I get my daughter for an entire week at a time. The only crappy thing was I didn't want a divorce, I actually really loved my wife. I guess where I'm going with this, talking to different people everyday on here, sharing tortoise stories, it's really helped me take my mind off my divorce and move forward in life. So just a big thanks to everyone.
Oh I love your story and feel sad for you and feel so happy for you, all at the same time. Thsnk you for sharing.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Here's my story. I've been keeping water turtles for a few years and that's what originally lead me to the forum. Let me just say too, I thought I knew a lot, but quickly realized I didn't lol. I got the tortoise bug after visiting a Reptile show here in Atlanta about a year ago, and decided I had to have one. I didn't get one that day though. I wanted to do my research and have everything ready first. That's when I hit the forum hard, reading up and preparing everything I would need. I found a RF breeder who was going to be attending the next reptile show that was coming up and contacted him to bring me a RF hatchling (they are not allowed to display and sell torts under 4" at the show). The show was this past January and when I got there I started looking for the breeder and HE DIDN'T SHOW! I was kind of let down because I had my hopes up and had been preparing for months. Then I was on my way out and saw a table with 2 full grown RF'S so I went over to take a look, and lo and behold there was the cutest little RF in there with them who was about 5". He looked at me with the cutest little face, and expression like "GET ME OUTTA HERE!" The rest is history, Murphy came home with me that day. I'm glad now the breeder didn't show now. I can't thank the forum enough for helping me with him. He's happy, healthy, and growing, nice and smooth :) I really enjoy this forum and everybody on it. These are my people here, and they're wonderful, regardless of what some Silly meatball has to say! This picture is the day Murphy came home.
I am glad the breeder didn't show because by the sounds of it Murphy was destined for you. And he certainly looks well take care of like his a thriving gorgeous tort instead of a tort just surviving. Well done and thank you for sharing on my post.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I was supposed to be a halfway house for my leopard tort. He was found in a field by a colleague she had him a few weeks and tried to find his owner with signs, reporting him found, contacting vets etc. but no luck. He was destined to go to a tortoise rescue centre but my animal mad sister said she would take him. So I brought him home with me until I could drive him the 150 miles to her home a few weeks later. Then unfortunately her situation changed and she couldn't take him. Anyway to cut a long story short he got under my skin and even though a tortoise was the last pet I would have chosen for myself, 4 years later he is still with me.:)
I was clueless about torts, and had a very steep learning curve. I joined the forum and Tom put me in touch with a UK leopard keeper who helped me tremendously as did other members if I asked questions. Although I didn't post much for a while, I was reading all there was to read about keeping leopards and rushing out to buy all the right equipment. Thankfully it was a warm summer and my ignorance didn't do any damage. I was soon able to provide the right diet, temps, uvb. give regular soaks and adapt a room for him so that he has plenty of room when indoors for winter.
The forum has supported me and offered reassurance and stopped me worrying if my tort does something different or unusual that makes me panic. It is great to have such a wealth of tortoise knowledge and experience to dip into and learn from and I still learn something new every time I log in.

Last edited:

Bambam1989

East Texas
This forum is what has kept me from making mistakes.
I found this forum almost a year ago when I first started researching the different types of torts to decide what kind would be best for my first one. After a couple months I decided on a sulcata! I also wanted a young one and eventually got a hatchling so that I could enjoy watching it grow into a DINOSAUR.
Because of this forum I know about proper diet and care. I also know that if/ when I have questions about my tort, as it grows, the members on this forum will give me HONEST advice and will explain their reasons behind that advice if I need them to.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I was supposed to be a halfway house for my leopard tort. He was found in a field by a colleague she had him a few weeks and tried to find his owner with signs, reporting him found, contacting vets etc. but no luck. He was destined to go to a tortoise rescue centre but my animal mad sister said she would take him. So I brought him home with me until I could drive him the 150 miles to her home a few weeks later. Then unfortunately her situation changed and she couldn't take him. Anyway to cut a long story short he got under my skin and even though a tortoise was the last pet I would have chosen for myself, 4 years later he is still with me.:)
I was clueless about torts, and had a very steep learning curve. I joined the forum and Tom put me in touch with a UK leopard keeper who helped me tremendously as did other members if I asked questions. Although I didn't post much for a while, I was reading all there was to read about keeping leopards and rushing out to buy all the right equipment. Thankfully it was a warm summer and my ignorance didn't do any damage. I was soon able to provide the right diet, temps, uvb. give regular soaks and adapt a room for him so that he has plenty of room when indoors for winter.
The forum has supported me and offered reassurance and stopped me worrying if my tort does something different or unusual that makes me panic. It is great to have such a wealth of tortoise knowledge and experience to dip into and learn from and I still learn something new every time I log in.
Oh what a beautiful story. I bet you would not let him go even if someone offerred you a million dollars.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
This forum is what has kept me from making mistakes.
I found this forum almost a year ago when I first started researching the different types of torts to decide what kind would be best for my first one. After a couple months I decided on a sulcata! I also wanted a young one and eventually got a hatchling so that I could enjoy watching it grow into a DINOSAUR.
Because of this forum I know about proper diet and care. I also know that if/ when I have questions about my tort, as it grows, the members on this forum will give me HONEST advice and will explain their reasons behind that advice if I need them to.
Very true and Clunker is an absolutely gorgeous tort.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Just want to add you are all invited to feel free to go to my post Kang and Rue and have a look through.20180605_190344.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh what a beautiful story. I bet you would not let him go even if someone offerred you a million dollars.
Nope not now, unless they could give him a much better life than me, then I would have to seriously consider it, but I would have to be able to visit him regularly!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
You are very welcome, hopefully I didn't get too personal. Sometimes my fingers typing get a little ahead of my brain lol.
The personal touch is what makes TFO all warm and cozy. That is what i want on this thread. The warmth, the eccentric, the bush beater, the diplomatic, the nurturer. The tells it like it is. Etc. Etc. Please post your story anywhich way (within the rules of course) you would like.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I am glad the breeder didn't show because by the sounds of it Murphy was destined for you. And he certainly looks well take care of like his a thriving gorgeous tort instead of a tort just surviving. Well done and thank you for sharing on my post.
Thank you @CarolM Your Kang and Rue are beautiful as well, and lucky to have you. I must add too that's since I found this place I have yet to locate the "sign off" button! :)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thank you @CarolM Your Kang and Rue are beautiful as well, and lucky to have you. I must add too that's since I found this place I have yet to locate the "sign off" button! :)
Whahaha. Thank you for the compliment on all four torts. And I often have that same problem.[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I am now going to bed and will catch up with any new posts in the moring. But please dont forget to post your stories!!