Wrestling with stuborn sick tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
I don't know how to link a thread so quick run down on what's been happening until now;
Got a new Russian girl 18days ago, she is heavily loaded with worms, took to vet and was given panacur on day 2 after meds wouldn't eat a thing (tried all the 'naughty' foods under the sun) day 14 she ate some water cress(hardly any) day 16 she chose to eat a Brussell sprout (out of everything else on her plate) on day 16 she was due more panacur but I held off to see if her appetite picked up.

So yesterday in her soak she passed another ball of live worms with practically no poo (understandable as she hasn't eaten) so I decided just to give the meds today as holding off was doing her no good.
OMG what a fight, she is soo strong and stuborn, not like my other tort who just opens his mouth for it!! I finally got it in her but she was so stressed and mad about it, I thought 0.4ml was a tiny amount of liquid until I had to get it down a torts throat!
I don't understand though, she hasn't lost weight, she has actually gained 10g and my scales are accurate?
I hope the meds work and she starts eating again

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
That sounds horrible. I don't really have any advice as I haven't had to deal with that yet (hopefully never haha). But good luck, and I hope she settles down and gets better!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I know you tried a lot of different foods (including the almost-never-fail Strawberry), but have you tried Mazuri? It soaks the medicine right up and is super helpful for giving oral medication (if your tort is eating)!

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Pokeymeg said:
I know you tried a lot of different foods (including the almost-never-fail Strawberry), but have you tried Mazuri? It soaks the medicine right up and is super helpful for giving oral medication (if your tort is eating)!

I ordered some online for her to try and I am going to pick it up from my parents house tomorrow, it has a different name here but it is apparently the same thing. I think it was called nazuri or something anyhoo I will try her with that tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!
She only seems to be interested in the Brussell sprouts out of everything that is what she will have a tiny nibble of (weird choice!) although I know they aren't good for her. I'm not sure if I should keep offering her some with everything else so that she has at least something in her tummy or not?!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Sorry to hear that its been such a struggle, but I'm glad you were able to get some down. She may not appreciate it now, but you are saving her life.

As far as the brussell sprouts, they're not the perfect tort food, but if its all she'll eat, keep giving it to her. Brussell sprouts is better than an empty tummy on a sick tort. You can try chopping the brussell sprouts up and mixing it with other foods, but don't stress too much if all she'll eat are the brussell sprouts. You can worry about variety after she's pulled through this parasite issue.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
mctlong said:
Sorry to hear that its been such a struggle, but I'm glad you were able to get some down. She may not appreciate it now, but you are saving her life.

As far as the brussell sprouts, they're not the perfect tort food, but if its all she'll eat, keep giving it to her. Brussell sprouts is better than an empty tummy on a sick tort. You can try chopping the brussell sprouts up and mixing it with other foods, but don't stress too much if all she'll eat are the brussell sprouts. You can worry about variety after she's pulled through this parasite issue.

Yeah I guess. It was so nice to see her chomping on it, I was starting to think maybe the vet had hurt her mouth with the hook he used to open her beak but it was great when she had a good nibble of it. I just want her better, I'm sure she hates me lol. Can't wait to give her lots of substrate to dig in. I don't get why she has gained weight though, maybe water? I have been soaking her every 1 to 2 days. She went from 400g to 396g now at 406g and she is all pooped out nothing left in her except a Brussell sprout and lots of wind XD

I also thought she could be on hunger strike because the vet called her......*shh*....FAT!!

Lol I'm glad that she is a big girl, looks like she is gonna need all that stored up weight!

Pokeymeg said:

Sorry just checked the version here is called " nutrazu"

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
laney said:
Pokeymeg said:

I ordered some online for her to try and I am going to pick it up from my parents house tomorrow, it has a different name here but it is apparently the same thing. I think it was called nazuri or something anyhoo I will try her with that tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!
She only seems to be interested in the Brussell sprouts out of everything that is what she will have a tiny nibble of (weird choice!) although I know they aren't good for her. I'm not sure if I should keep offering her some with everything else so that she has at least something in her tummy or not?!

Just keep her eating, that is the most important thing!! It sounds like her appetite is not the best right now. Once she is feeling better you can work on a healthier diet. Keep offering a variety, too. You never know what she may nibble on. Try and find some colorful foods, like radicchio! The color may interest her enough to try a nibble :)

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Pokeymeg said:
Just keep her eating, that is the most important thing!! It sounds like her appetite is not the best right now. Once she is feeling better you can work on a healthier diet. Keep offering a variety, too. You never know what she may nibble on. Try and find some colorful foods, like radicchio! The color may interest her enough to try a nibble :)

Yeah I will, it's costing me a small fortune but she is worth it!
My other two would go nuts for the food she is being offered.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
She just had a nice long soak then ate a Brussell sprout :) and tasted the mazuri :) it was only one bite but its one more bite than anything else yay

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If she likes brussel sprouts, maybe she'll eat other veggs related to sprouts, like shredded red cabbage. It's a thought. Her weight gain could be those nasty worms growing inside her. She really needs to pass those worms. Is mineral oil out of the question? Because if it isn't, that's what I'd try often until those works slip right out.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
sibi said:
If she likes brussel sprouts, maybe she'll eat other veggs related to sprouts, like shredded red cabbage. It's a thought. Her weight gain could be those nasty worms growing inside her. She really needs to pass those worms. Is mineral oil out of the question? Because if it isn't, that's what I'd try often until those works slip right out.

I've tried her with a couple of veg things like carrot but just the Brussels so far and a bite of the mazuri which im pleased about.
What do you mean about the mineral oil? I've never heard of using that?!

She is passing worms still but I thought they would be dead but they are alive!! I don't know if that's a bad sign, anybody??

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I really don't know much about worms in reptiles, never had that problem. But in dogs and cats my animals have passed live worms after being dewormed, you could tell the worm wasn't feeling so great though, it was dying. Are they really active when she passes them and did she pass worms before you dewormed her? If she only started passing them after being medicated for them I'd say it's working, even if they are still alive.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Weda737 said:
I really don't know much about worms in reptiles, never had that problem. But in dogs and cats my animals have passed live worms after being dewormed, you could tell the worm wasn't feeling so great though, it was dying. Are they really active when she passes them and did she pass worms before you dewormed her? If she only started passing them after being medicated for them I'd say it's working, even if they are still alive.

Yeah she passed a ball of live worms in her first soak the day I got her home, and in pretty much every soak over the last 20days. The worms do look a little less wriggly and more kinda lethargic i think but I'm not sure if I'm maybe just getting used to seeing them now. :(

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Little lady got her 3rd dose tonight, it was sooo much easier :D now she will eat something (Brussell sprouts :s) i managed to trick her with the syringe when her mouth was open :) thank goodness, it was so much easier than trying to prise her mouth open!!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
laney said:
Little lady got her 3rd dose tonight, it was sooo much easier :D now she will eat something (Brussell sprouts :s) i managed to trick her with the syringe when her mouth was open :) thank goodness, it was so much easier than trying to prise her mouth open!!

Yay! Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.