WOW! My hat's off to you guys!

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
My Darwin and I have been productive members here for about 2 years now? Before I rescued Darwin, I knew NOTHING about torts. But luckily I stumbled onto TFO on day one. I received help and information from so many that helped Darwin and I get on the right track. @Tom was a huge help in instructing me on how to get control of the pyramiding and we had great success! I was grateful for the knowledge and I have learned so much. I have recently joined some Facebook Sulcata pages because I just like to read about and see more pics. BUT!! It gets to me when people post a pic of their pyramided tort or torts in most cases because they don't want their little tort to be lonely and ask what they need to be doing differently? When you tell them what you see from their photo, they get all butt hurt and say things like Bobbie Joe said it was OK to feed them broccoli or if potting soil is good enough for my veggies, then it should be good enough for my tort. And I love the I do mist them every couple of days????? How do you people that help others not want to slap the stupid from them sometimes? lol

Clawem

I also followed the old rule to keep your tort dry and I had pyramiding on mine. I fed all the right things and could not figure out why mine were still pyramiding until I came upon this site. I feel bad the way they were kept by me in the past and they are now on their way to a much better life. Some people dont want to change even when they see for themselves something is wrong. You have to always have an open mind and try new things if you notice what you are doing is not working.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Believe me, it's sometimes VERY HARD to hold my tongue and not say something I'm going to regret. But at my age, I hope I've learned a thing or two about being patient and kind.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All you can do is try. Most of my attempts fail, BUT even if it fails two good things come of it.
1. I did my best, made the effort, and sleep with a clear conscience.
2. I planted a seed. They might scoff and dismiss what I tell them, but guess what. They will keep hearing it again and again and again from an ever growing list of sources and slowly, over time, the tortoise keeping culture will change and advance, because quite simply, the methods work. Somebody has to start that ball rolling. I'm happy to be that guy.

I have been working in the pet industry since I was 14. That was a long time ago. Combating ignorance, apathy, and stupidity is an art form that takes years to develop. Some are better at it than others, just like anything else.

The success stories, like yours TortyTom, make all the failures worth it. I know that your tortoise has a better life because of the words your read from so many people here on this site, and THAT is what makes it all worth while to me.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
A lot people don't know much about tortoises! All they can do is learn for themselves... they should come to TFO

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We get banned if we were to say what we really want:p:D
I have also found, when trying to help CL owners and the sad situations most of those torts are in, that sugar goes farther then vinegar. Like Tom said, I sleep good at night and have a clear conscience when I do what I can to pass on the forum info and the things I have learned here and cross fingers that it is taken.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm confusd, most of us don't wear hats.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am totally missing the hat reference in this thread. I know about the 80's band, but who said anything about hats or men wearing them?

BTW, I wear hats almost every day. Sometimes several of them. But not all at the same time. A beanie for the cold morning. Then a baseball cap to hide the bedhead/beanie hair. Then a boonie hat when it gets hot and sunny and I don't want my ears to get sunburned. Then a darker ball cap when the sun starts going down, and finally another beanie cap for a cool night. Its a lot of hats to carry around I tell ya...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nevermind... I scoured every post looking for a hat reference and never looked at the thread title again. Duh!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I am totally missing the hat reference in this thread. I know about the 80's band, but who said anything about hats or men wearing them?

BTW, I wear hats almost every day. Sometimes several of them. But not all at the same time. A beanie for the cold morning. Then a baseball cap to hide the bedhead/beanie hair. Then a boonie hat when it gets hot and sunny and I don't want my ears to get sunburned. Then a darker ball cap when the sun starts going down, and finally another beanie cap for a cool night. Its a lot of hats to carry around I tell ya...
you just complicated the hat game i only have and wear one hat.......... lol

to the Original thread i try to help where i can but if i see something i don't like i normally try to bite my tongue ( which i'm not very good at) as cowboy ken always say we all have our differences which sometimes puts us at odds with each other or other keepers but we all want whats best for the torts

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Dang Tom, that's a lot of hats! I have one cap for every day and night and a cowboy hat for the one night a year I go to the Rodeo. lol