Wound rot mouth. Help!

genetic_code

Location (City and/or State)
Delhi
My tortoise wasn't eating well since few days. He couldn't even yawn completely but my stupid *** couldn't notice the wound at his right corner of mouth. I noticed it today. It looks black-red.

What would be the treatment for this?IMG_20190601_160817_1559386758936.jpegIMG_20190601_160920_Bokeh_1559386908791.jpegIMG_20190601_161804_1559387137839.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a hard to heal place because he has to open his mouth to eat, and every time he opens the mouth he breaks open the wound. Keeping it soft helps. And to keep it soft, you apply first aid ointment daily. I use Neosporin.

Until the wound is healed and no longer has a scab, you'll have to chop up his food into tiny pieces so he doesn't need to open his mouth very wide to eat.

It's hard for me to tell just by looking at the pictures, but it also looks like he may either be dehydrated or very thin, judging by the amount of meat on his front legs. Do you soak him daily in warm water for about 15 or 20 minutes?

genetic_code

Delhi
This is a hard to heal place because he has to open his mouth to eat, and every time he opens the mouth he breaks open the wound. Keeping it soft helps. And to keep it soft, you apply first aid ointment daily. I use Neosporin.

Until the wound is healed and no longer has a scab, you'll have to chop up his food into tiny pieces so he doesn't need to open his mouth very wide to eat.

It's hard for me to tell just by looking at the pictures, but it also looks like he may either be dehydrated or very thin, judging by the amount of meat on his front legs. Do you soak him daily in warm water for about 15 or 20 minutes?
Yeah he's lost 20g of weight since last month since he couldn't open his mouth he barely ate. Though I've seen him drink plenty in a day. I have started giving him mashed food now and strained water to drink.
Thanks for the help. I was thinking of cleaning the wound with betadine daily once and then apply the ointment you suggested. Will that be alright?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Betadine will kill off any germs that may be living there, but don't use it more than once. But mainly apply the ointment to keep the scab soft. When the scab gets hard, every time he opens his mouth it breaks open again.