Would you move for your tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Debated this thread for sometime, even to exactly which section to place it in. :D

Lately, I have started seriously considering moving from Nebraska to another state because of my tortoises. For me it would be a huge step, as I come from a family line who seldom moved, much less moved more then a couple of hours from our roots.

Currently where I live, is a very little village of less then 100 folks. I love being able to step outside my front door and see a brilliant display of twinkling stars in the sky. It's one of those small close knit areas where folks usually never lock doors (I am the rare oddball who does), folks watch out for each other, even the cats can sleep in the middle of main street and instead of running them over, folks slowdown and go around them.

I am lucky to have two very old large houses that sit on very large lots. Both homes are very old and have been sadly neglected in their lives and are both needing major love and fixing up. Down part is in this area, you would never get back any of the money you invest in a house. Houses are really really cheap (which is why I could buy them ;):D).

Realistically we are looking at having to invest about as much money into the homes, as we would use to buy property in another area. Also as with everybody, we are constantly revamping, remodeling, and making plans for new tort pens and housing (did I mention the dream greenhouse?? :D) It always surprises me how much money we actually end up investing into what I think of a fairly cheap enclosures.

My future plans call for spending my years continuing to try to understand and care for my shelled ones. Having my groups of breeding animals and having several generations of homegrowns gracing the enclosures.

That is where thoughts of moving come in. I live in a wonderful area, but it also doesn't have the longest season for torts to be happily outside. Better then many, but still could add precious more time for them elsewhere. Add to it would be a longer growing time for their food supply, plus a larger variety.

The upside is we are already here, own the land/houses, have roots here and already have the enclosures here for the animals. Moving would be a major headache, just thinking about the logistics of moving all the animals, plants and their equipment is a true reality checking moment. Then there is that other unimportant stuff, like our furniture and belongings. :D Not sure I would even want to attempt to move our horses or poultry for their own safety and well being.

Yet how wonderful would it be to get to start all over with planning out where the enclosures would go. To start fresh. To be able to expand possible breeding thoughts or plant growing lists. To see and experience an entirely different climate and area.

So this rambling long post (are you sleeping yet??) is to ask you, do you ever think about moving because of your torts? Would you, yourself, in your own life and situation, do so? Have you done so already? Or is it just a dream in the back of your mind? Or perhaps you already live in your own little tortoise heaven?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That really depends upon the most important factor...the one you didn't mention: Can your husband or you find work in another state?

I would love to move further south in California. I think San Diego has wonderful climate for my torts and cacti, however, the expense of living there negates that idea.

To answer your question, I WOULD consider it, however I don't think I can afford it.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jacqui, as you know I live in So. CA, Long growing seasons, Climate great for my type of tort. All my family is here. Would I move for my torts? I guess for me the answer would be yes but within the same area (if that counts) I want to own my home so I can plant all I want in the ground. Build pens I can make permanent. Not have to worry about what the landlord will say or what type of plants she likes or doesn’t, and what I can take with me when I move-Note not if. I would like to own some larger torts but not owning a house makes me cautious. Problem is housing is high were I am at. Land costs are high. I want a house with a little land. I like you want to spend my retirement years learning and enjoying my torts and family. If I didn't have family close I would probably move farther out were the land is cheaper. But family is important so here I stay.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne, in my situation the moving would not hurt my husband's job of truck driving, he can live any where and still work. I don't work since I "retired" from WalMart a couple of years ago. His dispatcher wants me to take that one last finial test and become a full fledge driver, which is why he ever so often gives us a tease trip to CA. As a rule only team drivers get to go there and he knows I love seeing that part of the country. Would only be able to do it for a year any how, as my youngest will be off to college and not doing my animal upkeep.

Yes, I would love CA with the growing, especially the citrus orchards, but as you say cost would not work for us either.

Crazy, family was one of the main reasons I would never have dreamed of leaving, but now my children are grown (or close) and their dreams are of places further from home. The rest of my family that was in the area has already died, so that too is no longer a factor. If I had family, then I doubt I would seriously concider a long distance move.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui , what kinda torts do you have? What kind would you like to work with?

I mean we only get one life it would awesome if we could all do what brings joy to us. But some times thats life ya know.

I am sorry I didnt read your whole thread becasue I am walking out the door but I did want to reply to find out what species you want to work with. and hope to speak with you about this in the thread later.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jacqui thats super tough. if i was in ur situation i dont think i would move..only because you already have everthing going for you in ur home city (horses, family(the few still left), friends houses, etc) on the other hand if it was just you and ur husband, then of course i would seriously consider it. in my personal opinion i dont think its right to leave EVERYTHING (roots, family, friends, moving ur other pets) for your beloved tortoises...i only its hard but staying would be a must if i were you. thats just me :)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I have often thought of this. My husband and I have talked about heading somewhere southwest - maybe Texas? I would love to have more space than I already have to give to my torts. I would wait though until my kids were through high school first. It would be hard for me to leave my best girlfriends though.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jacqui

What a hard decision. I understand you 100%. I only have 1 tort and I told my boyfriend I wanted to move to the states one day to have longer summer for Hermy and I could have much more torts and they could stay outside all year long(I live in Canada, here in the winter there is 4'' of snow, and it is only hot in the summer).

Now it would be too hard for me to leave (my family, my friends, my work, my boyfriend's work). The problem is I dont know if my boyfriend will ever want to move for Hermy to stay outside all year long, he would need more reasons than that.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Bloom where you are planted!(?)

If liquid 'resources' are not a concern.. then go for it. The kids don't have second thoughts about 'flying away'.

However -

Pardon the personal reference.. I've simply acquired more space under roof that is a "micro-climate" for the torts. You may be surprised what you can do with "properly" utilized cubic space.. which can be heated with 'natural' sources/resources! Especially with that clear sky over you that you have.
Put the pencil to a 2-story 1000 sq.ft. [ 25 x 40 ] well insulated/plumbed building. { Or convert what you have } Again you may be amazed what you can do with the space. Very cost effecient and easier than building an ARK!

NERD

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Great question. If I were you, I wouldn't move at all. I would do what Terry said. I would utilized every inch of space. How wonderful it must be to know everyone in "town" and everyone looking out for each other.
As for me, I live in NY. I have enough property to maintain two ponds for water turtles and Koi, and a nice size pen for my Cherry head, and another one for my boxies, and room enough in my house for bringing everyone in for the winter. Also I am in the most exciting city in the world as far as I am concerned. I have everything at my finger tips...shopping...entertainment. I love it here. All my children own their own homes in my neighborhood. So I am here forever. (although sometimes I do envy you the small town living).

Status
Not open for further replies.