Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
GeoTerraTestudo said:
lisa127 said:
Another extremely important point that no one has mentioned. There are thousands of dogs and cats dying in shelters everyday for lack of enough homes. IMO, it is not right to clone one of my pets when there are pets in shelters needing homes. Lets love the animals that are already on this earth. Not clone the ones that are here. Seriously, spend some time in a shelter. Look into their eyes. They need homes and they need love.

^^I completely agree with this (the same may be said for breeding pure-blooded lines as well, btw).
I agree! Which is the reason I would never buy a dog from a breeder. For me, it's rescue only.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
i think that it would be unhealthy to clone an animal that had died...when a pet dies, we can't help but grieve, so if another animal expecting and needing our love were to come about during that grieving period then that would either 1) cut short our grieving period, which i believe to be unhealthy, or 2) would leave the new animal unloved an probably horribly shocked at our behavior.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Nope, still a different animal, wouldn't have the same memories together. It would only hurt worse to look at that pet every day and remember the one that passed away.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Some VERY good thoughts!

About the only way I can see a good reason for cloning an animal would be if a species was hovering at the brink of extinction, then cloning a few of each the remaining specimens, preferably the youngest possible, could be a viable way to save that species...

For instance, by cloning Lonesome George and any females left of his species, as is now believed exist, a small breeding colony could eventually come to be...those youngsters, put in a conducive environment, might correct, in a small way, a wrong on the part of Mankind.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Terry Allan Hall said:
Some VERY good thoughts!

About the only way I can see a good reason for cloning an animal would be if a species was hovering at the brink of extinction, then cloning a few of each the remaining specimens, preferably the youngest possible, could be a viable way to save that species...

For instance, by cloning Lonesome George and any females left of his species, as is now believed exist, a small breeding colony could eventually come to be...those youngsters, put in a conducive environment, might correct, in a small way, a wrong on the part of Mankind.

Yeah ... cloning could be a last resort tool for conservation, that's true. However, breeding, if at all possible, would be better than cloning.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Some VERY good thoughts!

Yeah ... cloning could be a last resort tool for conservation, that's true. However, breeding, if at all possible, would be better than cloning.

Agreed 100%!

Tom was telling me that Galops are generally difficult to breed in captivity, but if there were more specimens available, it would likely improve the odds of the pitter-patter of tiny tort tootsies...

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I don't believe in telling people what to do with their own money, but I would not clone one of my animals. I don't think I would clone even a family member. Each animal and person is unique based on their experiences. I know that I would not want to be cloned.
I think cloning could be an awesome tool in fighting disease or organ failure though. There is a moral dilemma for me in that if no one dies then the population will spiral out of control. If it was my family member I know I would want them to live, but not everyone can live forever, as we still reproduce at normal rates.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I would not clone a pet. And I am a bit confused about cloning. For expample if Jackrat cloned his Jack Russell would it have the same personality? Wouldn't another Jack Russell trained the same way be just as similar?

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
Angi said:
I would not clone a pet. And I am a bit confused about cloning. For expample if Jackrat cloned his Jack Russell would it have the same personality? Wouldn't another Jack Russell trained the same way be just as similar?

Think of the clone more as the sibling of the original. (Identical twins are essentially clones). No, they won't be exactly the same, but there's a good chance they could be pretty similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.