Would this tank be alright for my painted turtle?

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/55-gallon-aquarium-in-black-170976

Sorry I'm posting all at once, I just got the go-ahead from the state's wild animal rescue/rehab group to keep this baby Western Painted turtle, and I'm trying to buy everything I can for it.
I'm not expecting this tank to last forever, but right now my turtle's a little bigger than the size of a quarter. Assuming it might be a large girl, how long should this tank be an okay size for it?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That tank would last you a few years.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/55-gallon-aquarium-in-black-170976

Sorry I'm posting all at once, I just got the go-ahead from the state's wild animal rescue/rehab group to keep this baby Western Painted turtle, and I'm trying to buy everything I can for it.
I'm not expecting this tank to last forever, but right now my turtle's a little bigger than the size of a quarter. Assuming it might be a large girl, how long should this tank be an okay size for it?
That tank would be good for a young western painted turtle. If female for up to 3 years. If male it could be "forever" but a bit cramped. If you can swing it, I really like the 75 gallon tank better. It has a better footprint for turtles. Same 48 inches long, but a 75 is 19.5 inches wide, while a 55 is only 13 inches wide. Both are the same height. I believe the 75 is only about $30 more than a 55, but a much better turtle tank.

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
That tank would be good for a young western painted turtle. If female for up to 3 years. If male it could be "forever" but a bit cramped. If you can swing it, I really like the 75 gallon tank better. It has a better footprint for turtles. Same 48 inches long, but a 75 is 19.5 inches wide, while a 55 is only 13 inches wide. Both are the same height. I believe the 75 is only about $30 more than a 55, but a much better turtle tank.

Went ahead and got the 75. It also happened to be in a PetCo a lot closer to me than the 55 I was planning on picking up was, thanks for mentioning it!