Would This Enclosure Be Good For Three Russians?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
I was looking on Craigslist and found this dog kennel, for $175. I have been wanting to give my russians an upgrade and was wondering if this would be good, and any adjustments I would have to make to it to accomodate them. I probably would have to make a covering, and something that doesn't allow them to see through for a foot or two high. Also, does the door area look big enough for a russian to squeeze through? Thanks in advance for any help.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
You will have to put something to prevent them from digging down and out along the inside of the fence perimeter. Regarding the door area, it is hard to tell from the picture. Perhaps measure the width of your tortoises to see if they will fit through. Russian tortoises are quite the escape artists.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
You will have to put something to prevent them from digging down and out along the inside of the fence perimeter. Regarding the door area, it is hard to tell from the picture. Perhaps measure the width of your tortoises to see if they will fit through. Russian tortoises are quite the escape artists.
Alright, yeah digging would have to be prevented. Also, I meant I saw it on Craigslist, I don't have it yet so I wouldn't be able to measure the door.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can use the same board that will serve as a visual barrier along the rest of the bottom to also block the door. Then, when you open the door (out only) there will always be a barrier. See what I've done here? The door is wide open, and tortoises can't get out:
IMG_2390.JPG

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
You can use the same board that will serve as a visual barrier along the rest of the bottom to also block the door. Then, when you open the door (out only) there will always be a barrier. See what I've done here? The door is wide open, and tortoises can't get out:
View attachment 290575
Wow that’s great, I see exactly what you mean. Smart, thanks!

silverbird

Orange County, California
I would not get that dog enclosure for your Russians, as you will run the risk of them trying to climb it and getting their legs caught in the fencing. You are better off using the money to build a wooden enclosure with a screen or netting cover. Take care and have a Happy Easter and be safe.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I would not get that dog enclosure for your Russians, as you will run the risk of them trying to climb it and getting their legs caught in the fencing. You are better off using the money to build a wooden enclosure with a screen or netting cover. Take care and have a Happy Easter and be safe.
Okay, thanks for your input. But if I did get that enclosure, I would put wood boards/ some visual and physical barrier for a foot or two up so they can't climb, or see through.

Reactions: Tom

jeneliza

burton michigan
I was looking on Craigslist and found this dog kennel, for $175. I have been wanting to give my russians an upgrade and was wondering if this would be good, and any adjustments I would have to make to it to accomodate them. I probably would have to make a covering, and something that doesn't allow them to see through for a foot or two high. Also, does the door area look big enough for a russian to squeeze through? Thanks in advance for any help.
I have this for my dog, the gate door size depends on the size of the Russian, next you would probably want to dig a slot all the way around then place in the slot and cover it with the dirt, so they can not dig out, and yes it will need cover if in the sun, or at least part, plus the door doesn't work well after slots of use,I have had to repair the lacth a few times

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I have this for my dog, the gate door size depends on the size of the Russian, next you would probably want to dig a slot all the way around then place in the slot and cover it with the dirt, so they can not dig out, and yes it will need cover if in the sun, or at least part, plus the door doesn't work well after slots of use,I have had to repair the lacth a few times
Wow thanks for this info!

silverbird

Orange County, California
if you are going to have to put wood around the dog cage in order for it to be usable for your Russians; why not just build a wooden enclosure that you can make to your needs, and easier to get in and out of.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
if you are going to have to put wood around the dog cage in order for it to be usable for your Russians; why not just build a wooden enclosure that you can make to your needs, and easier to get in and out of.
Because he will have the security of chain link all around and over the top. No predator will get in and no tortoise will get out, once he's done running some plywood around the bottom.