Would this be suitable for an outdoor enclosure?

AMA904

I know most of my posts have been about inside enclosures and Hermann's, but I never even thought about this portion of my yard being an option. It's roughly 5' x 10' and is somewhat shaded because of the fence and overhang of the house. So what do you think? If this would be suitable, what types of tortoises would do well in that size enclosure and with my environment (I live in Jacksonville, FL so we have the heat, humidity, and can have cold winters at times)?

IMAG0048_zps2bjakppx.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
I will start working on it in a heart beat. It is perfect size for your Hermanns. I forget how many Hermann you have, It can very comfortably accommodate three hermanns (1.2). if it is for only just one, will be even better. Part of the day will have direct sun light, part of the day will be in shad. Perfect to me.

AMA904

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have any tortoises as of yet. I had two Hermann's a long time ago. Would a cherry head or red foot be suitable for the enclosure size and environment?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I thing red foot will be fine too.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'd start working on it now. Take out what substrate is there and plant lush weeds, grasses and bushes. Remember, besides the sun another benefit of being outside is the free eating. I would also either dig a small burrow or provide a house you can close them in at night with a warming light. There's predators loose at night. I think that's a great spot. Make it overgrown with plants and maybe a small wading pool or pond?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be sure to reinforce the bottom of the fence against digging out.

AMA904

I won't be getting a tortoise or tortoises until at least late July. This should give me plenty of time to get it started. Although if I end up with a hatchling then I know I will need to keep it inside for a while.

I was originally thinking about a Hermann's, but I really love how the Cherryhead tortoises look. I get the feeling that they would do well with the Florida environment too. Are there any other tortoises that would do well in Florida (that will fit in the enclosure)?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Nothing larger than a leopard...and even that would be questionable in my book! Other than that, you have a nice footprint for your future tortoise's home!

AMA904

My plan is to remove the pine bark mulch. Lay down some chicken wire and build the frame with cinder blocks about two feet high. I was thinking about throwing down some dirt on top of the chicken wire, planting some seeds, and throwing cypress mulch over that. Would that work well?

AMA904

Also, how big or old does the tortoise need to be before it can live outside in an enclosure that size?

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm still paranoid about my 5 inch female russian being outside without a top on her home, but that's mainly because of predators. My rule of thumb is if a hawk or crow can't carry her off, she's ok for unsupervised time in her outside enclosure but when the coons and coyotes start roaming she is in the house or in a hide box that can be closed up.

AMA904

I'm still paranoid about my 5 inch female russian being outside without a top on her home, but that's mainly because of predators. My rule of thumb is if a hawk or crow can't carry her off, she's ok for unsupervised time in her outside enclosure but when the coons and coyotes start roaming she is in the house or in a hide box that can be closed up.

I will definitely have a top on the enclosure and I can completely understand where you are coming from

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I will definitely have a top on the enclosure and I can completely understand where you are coming from
Certainly. Whats the point of bringing them into my care of I leave them open to attack and no where to escape?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
My plan is to remove the pine bark mulch. Lay down some chicken wire and build the frame with cinder blocks about two feet high. I was thinking about throwing down some dirt on top of the chicken wire, planting some seeds, and throwing cypress mulch over that. Would that work well?
This sounds like a great plan! That will allow for nice, deep substrate.
I do think it would be hard for hawks to coast in, pick up a tortoise, and coast out, with that fence. I have seen hawks in my back yard try to coast in to get birds off of our bird feeder, but they can't. They have to lift up before they can snag the bird or they will hit the hedge.
Raccoons are another story of course.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have to disagree with everybody. Tortoises are solar powered. They need sun. A RF might do well with all that shade, if its continuously warm enough, but I think 5x10 is too small for a RF. I'm not going to say its too small for a testudo species, but bigger would be better. That area would work great as part of an "L" shaped enclosure with the rest of the "L" shape getting much more sun.

Just about any species can live outside full time where you are with a proper temperature controlled night box. Like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

The insulated box protects them from temperature extremes both ways.

AMA904

I have to disagree with everybody. Tortoises are solar powered. They need sun. A RF might do well with all that shade, if its continuously warm enough, but I think 5x10 is too small for a RF. I'm not going to say its too small for a testudo species, but bigger would be better. That area would work great as part of an "L" shaped enclosure with the rest of the "L" shape getting much more sun.

Just about any species can live outside full time where you are with a proper temperature controlled night box. Like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

The insulated box protects them from temperature extremes both ways.

Tom - I'm no longer looking into a RF, but will be getting a Hermann's. That area gets plenty of sunlight during the afternoon. Trust me, I was out there all afternoon on Sunday working on it. It will also provide areas of shade. Keep in mind that picture was taken on a very overcast & rainy day.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
While you might be set on a tortoise, might I suggest you look into getting a box turtle or two, or three :) to fill in that area. Boxies love limited sun and adore shade. You can grow all kinds of things in there for them to hide in and you have plenty of room for a water feature they can swim in. Just a thought.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For tortoises, morning sun is most important and on any normal warm day they avoid afternoon sun.

I'm just telling you that I would not use that area for a sun loving species, like a hermanni or russian. Enclosure placement is just as important as enclosure size and design.

M

Maggie Cummings

FYI...pine and cedar are toxic for tortoises, unless it's mixed with something and processed. In that spot I personally would use cheap top soil and your plants will actually grow.

AMA904

FYI...pine and cedar are toxic for tortoises, unless it's mixed with something and processed. In that spot I personally would use cheap top soil and your plants will actually grow.

The pine bark mulch has been removed. It has also been there for over 5 years now. I'm not sure if time helps erode any toxicity or not. I also added about 3 inches of top soil to the enclosure for additional protection and will be adding cypress mulch on top of that.