would this be a suitable base for a tortoise table?

chazd1984

So I was perusing my local free section on CL and saw this.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/zip/4724186810.html

I'm thinking it would make a good table for a hatchling sulcata (what I want to get)

I was thinking I would just box in the sides and possibly turn the top or side panels into sliding doors. Or possibly put hinges on the wood sections for doors that would swing upwards.

I will probably need to me and off any shellac or stain that's on the wood just to be safe.

What do you guys think as far as demensions and stuff? Big enough for a hatchling for a year or two?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well, I am not a big fan of Craigslist transactions....not too safe....with the paranoia set aside....I bet it would be just as reliable to get yourself some wood and construct what you desire....again, just my take.

chazd1984

Well, I am not a big fan of Craigslist transactions....not too safe....with the paranoia set aside....I bet it would be just as reliable to get yourself some wood and construct what you desire....again, just my take.
I'm not too concerned about CL safety. I wouldn't go somewhere in the middle of nowhere and I wouldn't go by myself.

But all that aside would the coffee table be big enough? If so I'm going to try and get it its already built and I thinking would look nice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A closed chamber is best for a little sulcata. So, if you are planning on adding to the table sides and a top then it wouldn't be bad, expet the listing is gone so I have no idea how big it is. If it's normal coffee table size, it might last you a year or maybe a little more.
Now, for the closed chamber, proper way to house a sulcata, please read Toms threads below in my post.