Would this be a good enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supersmile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
im babysitting a sulcata tortoise for the winter, and they have it in a 10 gallon tank and its already 6inches. i wanna make it a decent enclosure, thats lightweight, and more portable. they let it roam their closed in ayrd all summer, but now that its winter they cant do that so they push it on me, who loves animals. everything i make for it is coming out of my own pocket, and is going back to the person when it gets warmer.

im planning on buying
either:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermai...torage-Box-Set-of-4/16539905#Item+Description
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermai...mfort-Blue-Set-of-6/16539901#Item+Description
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-41-Quart-Storage-Box-Set-of-6/10401039
and use that as base WITHOUT the cover.

the only set back i see about that is the fact the lamp may cause the plastic to deform over time, but if theirs something i can put over sides where the lamp will be hitting please tell me your ideas.

then im going to line the bottom with newspaper, and find some good chips, dirt, wood i can cover it with.
have about half the container over the lamp. i plan to find a woodlog for it to go under, and have a section with plant it could eat.
and im not sure if this would work or if they need it, should i, on the other side of the space, away from the lamp, have a pool of water? i plan to take a small container lid, only a inch or so high and fill it with water for it to use. if theirs anything else i need please let me know! thanks! :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

Have you thought about buying a large cement mixing tub, they sell them at most home improvement stores like lowes and home depot and they are cheaper and more sturdier than the ones you have selected, they will also withstand the heat from a heat lamp.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You said he is already 6" long? (measured on his flat bottom (plastron) side? Those would not work well, since they too are only about 6" tall.

Why the newspaper on the bottom? Can you get a bag of cypress mulch or good clean dirt even? The plant is nice, but at his size and in a small enclosure, he would eat and trample it in no time. I would suggest a terra cotta glazed plant water dish for the water. It's got enough weight they usually can't flip it easily. Doesn't cost an arm or even a leg either...lol. An unglazed one is great for the food, as it helps with the beak growth.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Supersmile:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Do a GOOGLE search for "Iris christmas tree storage bin" Its quite a bit bigger than the ones you've pictured, and it only costs around $39.

Another way to go is a used book case bought at a yard/garage sale. Take out the shelves, lay it on its back, line it with plastic, fill it with substrate and away you go!!

Supersmile

5 Year Member
Connecticut
hmm ya the large cement mixing tub would be perfect for it that i saw! :D its alot taller too so thatll help!

well i would probably line with newspaper then cover with cypress or something.
ok ill find one of those for the food and water dishes.

if you have any other suggestions let me know :) Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.