Would Inbreeding take place?

seanang168

10 Year Member!
I an wondering is it ok to keep siblings together, would they starts to inbreed? Also can they live in their parents enclosure? Would there be incest later? I do not have a lot of space in the house to have many enclosures. Just have these questions in mind in case I have successful hatchlings eventually

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
YES! Once puberty arrives hormones rule their lives and they will inbreed:eek::oops:. If you have a shortage of space you might consider trading your babies or selling and getting non related ones. Also consider creative solutions for more housing.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
YES! Once puberty arrives hormones rule their lives and they will inbreed:eek::oops:. If you have a shortage of space you might consider trading your babies or selling and getting non related ones. Also consider creative solutions for more housing.
Thank you William. If the time comes, probably find someone to trade :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Yes inbreeding will occur and so will bullying probably.

They are solitary creatures that see other torts as rivals for space and food that need to be persuaded to leave. Unless you have a very large enclosure, 4'x8' (1.5x2.2 metres) per tortoise then they should be kept separately.