Would a moonsoon system be beneficial? & Best temperatures

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elk Grove CA
I will be receiving a 5 year old spider very soon and I was wondering if a monsoon system would be great for this animal. I was told they love to burrow and they love to be out in the rain in their natural habitat. Also what do you guys prefer for basking and ambient? I have seen a number of recommendations by people but cannot get the best answer

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I keep all species of them and you need to provide them with a monsoon season during the summer months and a cooler dry season during the winters . I keep them in enclosed cages and also open tables with fogers on timers and misting systems during the summer months. Around the first week of December I cut down the lights and moisture gradually and eventually completely dry and dark. I use a combination zoomed T5 5.3 uvb , and a full spectrum aquarium light along with a small spot lamp at one end of the closed enclosure. The aquarium light is controlled with a timer 7.00am to 6.00 pm. The UVb lamp and the basking lamp comes on from 10.00am to 3.00 pm This simulates the ramping up of heat during mid day.
The wattage of the basking lamp is based on the ambient room temperature and ths size and type of the enclosure. GREAT CAUTION must be taken to select the correct wattage !! I would highly recommend to run the combination of lights for a few days to make sure you are not overheating the enclosure. My mid day high is around 87-90 F and the overnights ambient room tem of 78F.
I also keep them on open tables with a spot lamp at one end and T5 UV 5.3 lamp controlled with a timer 7.00 am to 6.00pm. I use a combination of organic soil and zoomed forest floor for substrate and plenty of hides with moisten spagnum in 2 areas one near the spot lamp and another in the coolest end of the open table. This is a much simpler method and gives the tortoise plenty of options. Use plenty of plants.
The tortoise will be inactive for most of winter and into spring.