Worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexx

5 Year Member
I put my tortoise in his new table on Friday from a viv, ever since he hasn't eaten hardly anything and he hasn't been coming out of his bed area. Is this normal because he's changed homes or could it be because it's to cold because I'm worried it is to cold for him from what he's used to. I've got a heat lamp in there for him. I'm worried about him all the time ATM :(

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
It could well just be him settling in, but probably best to check the temps just in case (after all it can't hurt) I need a basking and heat lamp to give enough warmth atm (but I am in Scotland and its only around 10C at best right now!)

Alexx

5 Year Member
Sorry if this sounds silly but whats the difference between a basking lamp and a heat lamp? I've got a uv lamp and a basking lamp in my table :)

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well by basking lamp will be like yours (I also have a UV one) both set on a timer, but I have a ceramic heat lamp (i.e. with a ceramic heat bulb) set on a thermostat which emits heat but no light
and its not a silly question!

Alexx

5 Year Member
I didn't know they did those I'm going to have a look in to it now thankyou for your help :)

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
I would suggest one on a thermostat so you know it (hopefully) would neither got too hot not too cold...

Alexx

5 Year Member
That's brilliant thanku :) he's doing the opposite of what I posted now he's giving me panic attacks I've gone to check on him and he's been on his back twice under his light I've lowered that right down I'm just panicking all the time the only good thing is he's giving me exercise walking up n down my stairs every 5 mins to check on him :) I think he's trying to climb up the wall which is 'tortoise escape proof' n thinking he can get over then toppling backwards :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just to make sure I am not lost (which I often am :D ), you think you have rectified the first problem by lowering the lighting? As to the always on the back, I have these three little sulcatas and one of them is always getting into situations were he ends up on his back. Even after all these years of being around tortoises, I still panic at the sight.

Alexx

5 Year Member
The first problem has disappeared now as he was sleeping all day and not eating now he won't stop for a rest :) he kept me awake till 1.30am making noises trying to escape its a good job I love him so much :) when I found him on his back the first time he wasn't moving to try n get himself back over he just lay there then I found him like it twice again, can big tortoises flip themselves back over? He's not that big but he just didn't seem to b trying. I'm going to be panicking about him all day who would have thought a little thing like him could make u so worried :)

Status
Not open for further replies.