Worried about temp an humidity.. advise please

Remie

Hi, worried about the temp and humidity for my baby hermans. Temp is 38 degrees c and humidity 60/70 when I mist.. is this ok ?? However, really quickly the humidity drops and the temp goes up.. help, any advise please.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Usually an open top enclosure will do,this. Putting a cover on it will keep it more stable.

Reactions: Tom

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Is the temp 38C everywhere? How hot does it get when you say it goes up? That sounds way too hot for an all over temperature.

Reactions: Tom

Remie

Is not an open top is a vivarium, goes up to 41 .. I had a feeling it was too hot as babies are shading a lot and not mobile for long periods. The heat lamp is a 100w, I have a 40w, would it be an idea to lower the heat lamp ? Very new to this and finding my feet.. just moved thermometer to the end and is reading 35 degrees.

Last edited:

Remie

Thanks all that gave me advise..My tortoises were very lethargic.. hiding most of the time.. spoke to "professional" today who said a 100w heat lamp is fine and they can cope with it. That was total rubbish..which I told him, I decreased the heat to 60W.. now have a temp of 32/35 and a humidity reading of 60/70. " My little ones have been out all day, basking etc.. 100w was way to hot for them, glad I didn't just accept the information I was told as completely new to baby tortoises's.. trial and error .. all good now.