Worried about shell condition

mintythetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Denver
Hello,
I read a post the other day and I am worried about the condition of my tortoises' shell. Especially the top part although the peeling part was from this summer. I made an enclosure outside and let him roam around but he climbed under a bucket and scraped the top of his shell. He is indoors now.
I bathe him every week 2-3 times, but I am worried he is not eating enough. His droppings look a bit dry and he doesn't poop frequently but he does urinate without the white stuff. I have tried to feed him collard greens but he starves himself to the point where he tried eating the wood chips. So now I am giving him green leaf lettuce/romaine lettuce although I heard that kind of diet is not good. Any advice on what to give him as a staple instead of lettuce for a picky tortoise would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on taking him to the vet. Any advice on that would be appreciated as well.

Also another worry I have: before I put wood chips in his enclosure I planned to use topsoil as the bedding so i put that in there. However, I think there's still some remnants of the soil in his enclosure and he might be breathing it in. I though that was the reason that I heard some wheezing coming from him but I was wondering if he has a respiratory infection?He is breathing fine, no discharge but what could cause that???

Attachments

• tempImageSBAhM7.jpg
    tempImageSBAhM7.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Last edited: