Worried about Pyrimiding! Am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morocky

5 Year Member
I have had my two tortoises (Mo and Rocky) since November and they're 1 year old now. I have them in an indoor enclosure with soil/sand substrate which I spray regularly through out day. I also have appropriate lighting and they're fed a variety of weeds. E.g dandelion, nettles, clover and various edible garden plants. They always have access to water and I bath them at least once a day for 20 minutes.
As its the summer they're now outside in a secure enclosure in the daytime.
I feed them in the morning with a handful of varied weeds/plants and they eat it up as fast as they possibly can. I think they would eat all day if they could. I had a plant in their outside enclosure which they ate and ate so I have now removed it. I'm guessing I'm over feeding which is causing the pyramiding?
In February mo was 40g but now 80 and 7.5 cm
In February rocky was 49g but now 71g and 7.3cm.
Mo has taken over and it's evident they've gained weight rapidly but how do I know what's enough food to ensure steady healthy growth.
Here are some pics of my torts and a pic of their outdoor enclosure. (the tortoise on top is a wooden ornament)

Thank u so much, any advise appreciated :) x

Attachments

• image-283448813.png
    image-283448813.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
  • image-2785251756.png
    image-2785251756.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
  • image-2906780870.png
    image-2906780870.png
    913.6 KB · Views: 152
  • image-758958596.png
    image-758958596.png
    891.3 KB · Views: 165
  • image-64670741.png
    image-64670741.png
    831 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1751882724.png
    image-1751882724.png
    888.1 KB · Views: 117
  • image-1459524101.png
    image-1459524101.png
    869 KB · Views: 135
  • image-2650357011.png
    image-2650357011.png
    889.9 KB · Views: 126

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think you are a worry-wart. There is nothing wrong with your tortoises. Pyramiding usually occurs in the sulcatas, leopards and redfooted tortoises, but not so much in the Mediterranean species unless they are receiving really bad care. So, relax and enjoy your tortoises. They look fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Diet and hydration sound good.

What are their indoor temps?
Night heat?
Do they have a humid hide indoors?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Looking good. Admit it, you just wanted to show off your beautiful tort! Lol. And love the outdoor enclosure!

Morocky

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Diet and hydration sound good.

What are their indoor temps?
Night heat?
Do they have a humid hide indoors?

Their indoor temps range from 80-90
Basking Temps are 92
At night I turn my lights off and temp is 65-68.

They have a portion of the enclosure which has a door way through and it's sheltered off. They do use it on and off throughout the day and majority of times this is where they go at night. In the day time the hide is 75.

Thanks for all comments! They are lovely and have real little characters :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of that sounds good to me.

Maybe some insight from other species I keep will help. I have found that pyramiding occurs when there is growth in conditions that are too dry. Doesn't matter what or how much they eat, in regards to pyramiding, as long as conditions are correct. It seems to me like their initial growth was good, but the more recent growth it pyramiding just a little bit. If I were you, I would make a proper humid hide and see if I could increase over all humidity a bit, both indoors and out.

I don't have a lot of experience raising hermanni, but according to the people that do, they need a little higher humidity range than some of the other Testudo. Not tropical rainforest humidty, mind you, but higher than what's inside the average North American home.

Send a PM to GBTortoises and ask him to view your thread. He's been raising, keeping, and breeding your species for decades. I'd love to see what he has to say about it.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
They are so cute! I think their shells look really good and pretty!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There is a slight amount of pyramiding, not too bad. Moreso they're beginning to exhibt signs of some accelerated growth. If you notice they are somewhat flat on top but very wide when facing them, along with the slight raising of the each scute and the rear marginal scutes looking almost "too short" and beginning to grow up turned in comparison to the sides. Feeding large amounts of good quality foods (like the weeds that you are) aren't going to cause them to pyramid. But feeding them a lot of anything and keeping them too warm overall can be an initial condition for accelerated growth. Inactivity can also contribute. They sound like they're well hydrated. How dry does the substrate get in between spraying and what are the daytime and night time temperatures? Ambient humidity?

Morocky

5 Year Member
Thanks GBTortoises for having a look at my thread.

I can see what you mean about accelerated growth evidence and I can see that from their measurements too.

Their temps at night are: 65-68
Daytime range from 80-90
Basking -92
Hide- 75 in day.

I'm guessing it's my humidity as its really dry in between sprays.
Also I have their light on for 10 hours, is this ok or am I keeping then hot for too long? X

Thanks

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The temperatures don't sound bad. Cooler at night would be more beneficial but that is often difficult to do when kept indoors since most peoples homes don't get much cooler than the mid 60's. The ambient daytime temperatures are a bit on the warm side. Normal activity range for most Northern Testudo species is about 68-80. Once the ambient temperature begins to above the 82 degree mark the tortoises will usually seek shelter. The basking temperature is fine, even 6-8 degrees warmer would be good.
The lights should really be on much longer, 14-15 hours a day to simulate a normal summer day outdoors. Ideally, they should be outdoors as much as possible and in the summer could be outdoors 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.