Worried about pyramiding already!

Tortellinimommy

This is where she has choosen to sleep even though she has two hides with sphagnum moss one in cool area and one in warm, I read a care sheet on theturtlesource.com that said when you see them settling down for the nigh to place them in their sleepy area, not sure if I should or if I should just let her choose for herself? Also if anyone can chime in, is it normal during the transition period of coming into a new home to eat very little? It's been a week since I've had her and it seems like some days she'd rather just bask or sleep and hardly eat, she's about 6 weeks if that helps

Attachments

• IMG_6705.JPG
    IMG_6705.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 30

Tortellinimommy

I got mine in the mail for Az Sulcata and Wendy had scratched her eye in shipment and her eyes were bothering her for a day, I soaked her a lot and she's doing so good and she's been eating great so I might be worried if Tortellini still isn't eating . Have you taken her/him to vet for check up? Are your temps correct? There can be a few reasons why she's not eating good yet
Thanks Janelle (which is my middle name btw lol) today after a soak and playing outside she ate more than half her food, hand fed some which was fine by me. She likes to burrow under a piece of drift wood so I have moist moss there and I figured she knows where she's comfy so I'll let her sleep there if she wants even though I've set up some really nice hides but like any kid she doesn't always listen to mom lol.

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Thanks Janelle (which is my middle name btw lol) today after a soak and playing outside she ate more than half her food, hand fed some which was fine by me. She likes to burrow under a piece of drift wood so I have moist moss there and I figured she knows where she's comfy so I'll let her sleep there if she wants even though I've set up some really nice hides but like any kid she doesn't always listen to mom lol.
My Russians sleep in all different places lol today my boy Franklin passed out in his food dish after eating lol food coma I guess. Tortellini will get used to its new home and few weeks will be a wild little tort!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks :) she/he is my little cutie, I think I've been spoiling her with her new larger enclosure and now she burrows in random spots and it's like finding a needle in a hay stack lol I think she will be back in her lower walled enclosure soon since I've figured out how to regulate heat and humidity to where it needs to be, less substrate = less hiding spots from mommy.

Lower walls and less substrate also means less humidity and more difficulty regulating humidity and heat. So you might want to reconsider.

Janelle Green

Colorado
There's this video on YouTube Kamp Kenan caring for tortoise babies watch that very helpful!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He is very knowledgeable about tortoises, however, quite a bit of the stuff he teaches is old school. He doesn't mention anything at all about how moisture is required when raising babies. You'd be much better off reading our care sheets here on the Forum. Our stuff is more up to date.

Janelle Green

Colorado
He is very knowledgeable about tortoises, however, quite a bit of the stuff he teaches is old school. He doesn't mention anything at all about how moisture is required when raising babies. You'd be much better off reading our care sheets here on the Forum. Our stuff is more up to date.
But he's sexy lol ;) I agree with you somethings he doesn't get into and idk if he still thinks this but he thinks that it's best for baby tortoises to live outside and he learned that the hard way with losing one of his aldabras when it was a baby from pnmeonia having him outside to wet and cold but I love his shows very entertaining I love seeing him go to other people's habitats