Worried about coil fluorescent bulb...

thetortmom

Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Maryland
We have been using a coil UVB bulb for our Russian for awhile now. However, with everything that I've been reading on this forum I've unplugged it and went into a total panic! We have been using this bulb for about 6 months now and haven't noticed any ill effects from it. He still runs out to greet us (demands to be fed)- and he seems to see okay. His tank is located near our back door (good deal of natural light) and his temperature is well maintained (we keep our house at 68 Fahrenheit and he has a basking spot that is around 90). I was wondering if anyone could give us some recommendations about what bulb we should be using, and what height it should be positioned. Any and all advice is appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your tort isn't having a problem with it then use it. When it needs replacing, I would get something else. One bulb may be fine while the next may not be. Also, not every tort/lizard is affected by them but a lot are. Helps too if it's hung correctly, which is vertical
Should be horizontal not vertical

Last edited:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If your tort isn't having a problem with it then use it. When it needs replacing, I would get something else. One bulb may be fine while the next may not be. Also, not every tort/lizard is affected by them but a lot are. Helps too if it's hung correctly, which is vertical

I totally agree! Bulbs usually are good for 6-8 months before it has to be replaced. As the weather starts to get warmer, and your tort goes outside to get natural sunlight, a bulb wouldn't be necessary. Note, sunlight coming from the windows can't give your tort UV rays. He would have to go outside and get it from the sun. I always buy my new bulbs in late fall for the winter days. If you live in a warm climate, you wouldn't even need a UV bulb :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Everything I have read says they need to be horizontal with the substrate above ground level at18 " high. It seems as tho it takes over and makes too many rays out the end. Some work fine

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everything I have read says they need to be horizontal with the substrate above ground level at18 " high. It seems as tho it takes over and makes too many rays out the end. Some work fine
OMG yes. Horizontal not vertical. Vertical is the way too many are using them and that is the wrong way. Sorry, my thinking was off there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes Thank you. Glad you caught that. That's where proof reading would be a good thing. But I am bad at that:(

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i don't use them so i cant recommend them i use a T5 12% arcadia bulb that still needs to be 18-20 inches above the soil to have effect it's meant for "desert" species so a russian might get good use of it i use it for a redfoot

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
i don't use them so i cant recommend them i use a T5 12% arcadia bulb that still needs to be 18-20 inches above the soil to have effect it's meant for "desert" species so a russian might get good use of it i use it for a redfoot

Those are great bulbs! I tried to find it ay my local pet store, but they didn't carry them. Online isn't something I'd order those from cause during shipping, they cold be damaged. So, I settled with a MVB 100 watts.

Last edited:

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Those are great bulbs! I tried to find it ay my local pet store, buy they didn't carry them. Online isn't something I'd order those from cause during shipping, they cold be damaged. So, I settled with a MVB 100 watts.
Lightyourreptiles.com

all they're bulbs are guaranteed unbroken and they pack them pretty dang well. i'm not sure you can find them in stores honestly

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
As far as coil bulbs go if you have one that has not caused problems don't worry. But when you replace it - it's better to err on the side of caution and not go coil at all. I will say there appears to be some confusion - the coil bulbs are designed to be hung vertical or horizontal. The whole idea was to get a UVB bulb that could go in an aquarium fixture. Those applications are horizontal which is fine. Since a coil is compact - either way allowed for an installation where the light comes from above. All the warnings by manufacturers are for TUBE bulbs that MUST be hung horizontal and ABOVE the tortoise. People were mounting tubes on the sides of enclosures and that was causing problems. UVB light must be placed so it is coming from Above only.

Since your bulb is now about 6 months old it needs replacing and I would not choose coil type anyway. They appear to be prone to possible damage and that's not worth the risk.

The t5 tube bulb is one of the most powerful now available. It's a great choice but should be mounted about 18" above shell height. If you are using a polished metal reflector it needs to be at least 24"

M

Maggie Cummings

You are welcome Sibi and Barb.
I was told by the Vet what she had learned about those bulbs, and I plan on trying my best to get them to stop selling. I blinded one Sulcata yearling and diminished the sight in an other. Regardless of what some aggressive and hostile older members believe, there were no directions in any of the boxes on the store shelf. I didn't "claim blindness" He was BLINDED.
My nephew is going to visit his Mom next month, and I plan on driving to Arizona and getting Tony Stewart and bringing him to Calif. We should all meet somewhere so ya'll can see the blind tortoise and I can prove I'm not a liar, and those who don't believe can actually see a blind tortoise. (play on words, good one, huh!)
My word is all I have, so it is important to me that most believe what I say. So I'm going to take a trip I can't afford (abt $800) and bring Tony back here, so almost anyone who wants to see him can....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have been using a coil UVB bulb for our Russian for awhile now. However, with everything that I've been reading on this forum I've unplugged it and went into a total panic! We have been using this bulb for about 6 months now and haven't noticed any ill effects from it. He still runs out to greet us (demands to be fed)- and he seems to see okay. His tank is located near our back door (good deal of natural light) and his temperature is well maintained (we keep our house at 68 Fahrenheit and he has a basking spot that is around 90). I was wondering if anyone could give us some recommendations about what bulb we should be using, and what height it should be positioned. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Not all of these bulbs cause this problem. Sounds like you got one that was fine.

Question: How often does your tortoises get real sunshine and where are you? Not all tort keepers need indoor UV. You might be fine just using your basking bulb for heat during the day. If you do need indoor UV for most of the year, mercury vapor bulbs or long tube type fluorescents are the way to go. There are many types to suit a wide variety of housing styles and personal preferences, and each type will have its own mounting idiosyncrasies.

Mounting height will depend on many factors for any bulb of any type.

There is another issue that is frequently not addressed in these discussions. These coil bulbs are not effective UV sources, on top of being potential eye damagers. So says my Solarmeter 6.5.The risk does not outweigh the benefit here.

thetortmom

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice! I'm thinking I'll go with a MVB. It looks like the 100w is the preferred choice? He gets put outside in the summer every now and then, but now that we own our own home we are thinking of making him a pen in our front garden. We are located in MD and the summers here can be very hot and humid. Our front yard receives a decent amount of shade- so I think that would be more comfortable for him (we also grow a lot dandelions in our front yard as well!).

thetortmom

Baltimore, Maryland
I also feel like I should mention that we inherited our tortoise when my mother passed away. He belonged to my little brother and I think that much of his life he was cared for incorrectly. We are trying to do our best to give him the best life possible. He's become quite important to me and I hope that we can have him for many years to come.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum!:):tort:

Please post pictures of your tort and his enclosure.

Personally I read that coil bulbs should NOT be used. Therefore I never used them for my beloved Greek tort. I use UVB lamp.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You are welcome Sibi and Barb.
I was told by the Vet what she had learned about those bulbs, and I plan on trying my best to get them to stop selling. I blinded one Sulcata yearling and diminished the sight in an other. Regardless of what some aggressive and hostile older members believe, there were no directions in any of the boxes on the store shelf. I didn't "claim blindness" He was BLINDED.
My nephew is going to visit his Mom next month, and I plan on driving to Arizona and getting Tony Stewart and bringing him to Calif. We should all meet somewhere so ya'll can see the blind tortoise and I can prove I'm not a liar, and those who don't believe can actually see a blind tortoise. (play on words, good one, huh!)
My word is all I have, so it is important to me that most believe what I say. So I'm going to take a trip I can't afford (abt $800) and bring Tony back here, so almost anyone who wants to see him can....

I would love to meet up with you, not because I need to see a blind tort, but just so I can meet you! The thing is I'm the only one who cares for my torts, and now I have 4 sullies. Although, my hubby does help out with the two 4 year olds, he'd freak out if I'm gone for even a few days. I'm looking for someone who'd be willing to train in caring for my torts so we can take time off for ourselves. For me, I'd never question the validity of your claim. I know what these bulbs did to my babies eyes when they were but a month old; and, no one is gonna convince me that coil bulbs are safe or that it doesn't cause blindness!