Worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
When I got home last night, one of my RF hatchlings left a nice pile in the water dish, nothing unusual, but it did have small white flecks in it...kind of like little white balls. Did I take a picture, of course not!

This morning Coagi totally refused his greens contrary to his usual voracious appetite, Rafiki nibbled and lost interest (turnip greens and wild plantain). They had some figs yesterday, so I thought maybe they're just being picky, but I was curious so I gave them both a soak. I stepped out and did some dishes while they soaked and when I returned I found this poop in his container (attached).

Question is, does it look like a worm? I'm a bit concerned. It was about 1 inch long and half the width of a normal poop. We have a scheduled check-up with the vet next Tuesday, he's ~25 minutes away and this will be our first visit. I was planning on fecal exams then, but should I get in sooner?

For those that don't like attached photos, sorry! No photobucket account. I left the photos large so the file sizes are a bit big...
Suspect_!.jpgSuspect_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
dalano73 said:
Thats different, looks a little like a hook worm

It's big though...I think hook worms are usually pretty small, this was about an inch long. Either way, no bueno!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
could it be a stringy poop? lol or maybe roundworm?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
What about the Nemotode worm? I will keep guessing or maybe it will be nothing at all or stringy poop, lol

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
CtTortoiseMom said:
Pin worm?

I should've put a ruler in for scale, this thing was about an inch long and half the diameter of a "normal" poop. Pin worms are generally pretty small - similar to jasmine rice. I'm really intrigued to find out what it was, that's why I posted it up here. Sorry to keep shooting people down on their ideas! I'm leaning toward a tapeworm from the size, but I can't be sure. It had no real posterior/anterior (head/anus) appearance, just what you see in the pics. I called the vet and got a visit scheduled for Thursday rather than next week. Hopefully the fecal will tell us something, but I've been reading other threads and it seems our best shot is with multiple screenings. Vet's 25 minutes from here, I'm thinking I'll be doing my own floats pretty soon and consulting. I'll talk to the vet about this on Thursday to see what he thinks - I hope he's in agreement.

I should add, it didn't move or anything, seemed sessile or dead. Perhaps it's just urates, but I really don't know. My two drink from their water bowls, perhaps not enough? Anyone have similar pictures that were urates? I'm playing it safe with a vet visit anyway, I'm sure they've probably picked something up with all the wild greens and weeds I've been feeding them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think that's a worm. I think its mucous, which may be an indication of flagellates.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
emysemys said:
I don't think that's a worm. I think its mucous, which may be an indication of flagellates.

Thanks Yvonne! That sounds very reasonable, I'll be sure to bring the pictures to the vet with me in 2 days.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Maybe you should drop a fecal sample at your vet? My Sulcata Sid had pin worm and fluke worm. Keep us posted!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
CtTortoiseMom said:
Maybe you should drop a fecal sample at your vet? My Sulcata Sid had pin worm and fluke worm. Keep us posted!

Definitely! Will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.