Worms? Not Worms?

Suthypie

Location (City and/or State)
Norwich
Hi,

I recently had to take one of my horsefields to the vet, after becoming very lethargic, not eating etc. Turns out he had pin worm. He was treated and no longer has any :)

however! Now I am just paranoid when it comes to my other two. They are all housed separately. I checked another ones dropping today and saw what looks like transparent ....worms? I’m not sure as other images on the internet do not really match.
What do you guys think? He is eating and drinking and active as usual! It’s just me trying to understand what these are and if they look to be at a dangerous volume.

thank you

Attachments

• 6ADFE5F2-E7DC-4C2C-A6F4-B67853B783D3.jpeg
    6ADFE5F2-E7DC-4C2C-A6F4-B67853B783D3.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 52

Opuntia

uk
Looks like worms to me. Mine had the same this summer the picture I took looked exactly like yours. Mine wasn't eating basking or walking around so vet gave him wormer. I was told pin worm.

Reactions: Ink

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
First in the short term they are not dangerous but still no good to have. You can take the other 2 torts poop to the vet to have evaluated. The tort does not need to go just have an very recent weight for prescription purposes. Are they indoor or outdoor enclosures?

Suthypie

Norwich
They each have an indoor and outdoor enclosure....so may have picked up something outside...
Is it looking like worms then? My other did not gave any visible worms in his droppings. Just his behaviour alerted me.

don’t want this one to end up going down the same route :(

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
They do not live outside the host (tort) long so a spot cleaning of enclosures maybe done. Then you can rake up the substrate to mix it up. The key is identifying infected torts and getting them medication to break the life cycle. Good luck it is not that horrible!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

I recently had to take one of my horsefields to the vet, after becoming very lethargic, not eating etc. Turns out he had pin worm. He was treated and no longer has any :)

however! Now I am just paranoid when it comes to my other two. They are all housed separately. I checked another ones dropping today and saw what looks like transparent ....worms? I’m not sure as other images on the internet do not really match.
What do you guys think? He is eating and drinking and active as usual! It’s just me trying to understand what these are and if they look to be at a dangerous volume.

thank you
If one had them, then they likely all have them. Take in fecal samples to confirm.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Hi,

thank you

Aaaaaack! Nasty nasty little worms for sure. I'd take the others in as well and also make sure you've completely cleaned the habitat and changed the substrate BEFORE they go back in.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They're actually very contagious.
Separate enclosures far apart and separate everything else helps. But even your shoes can transfer eggs. Etc.
Luckily, treatment, if required, is very effective.