Worming

Loujd

Location (City and/or State)
Lincolnshire
Hi,

sent a sample off for tort, he has pin worms eeeeek
He’s 47g and was given panacure. He’s finished his dose however he’s still pooing lots of worms I know to repeat in ten days to break the cycle and so I’ve brought the medicine online now, however I’m struggling with dosage I’ve brought the paste as he hated the liquid spat most out. Can anyone help
Me with dosage

Laura

Attachments

• 5C18A01D-ED60-4E8E-BCEF-7BC4EBCC4E7A.png
    5C18A01D-ED60-4E8E-BCEF-7BC4EBCC4E7A.png
    180 KB · Views: 4

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Sorry to hear that your little tortoise is having issues with worms. Unfortunately dosages are one thing that isn’t supposed to be discussed on the forum. I found this from the forum administrator, @Yvonne G on another thread where someone was asking for wormer dosages…. “Because the de-wormers come in different strengths, it's not a good idea to post dosages here. Someone might unwittingly use the wrong dosage for the strength of the de-wormer they have.”

You are best to speak with your vet to find out the correct dosage.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might be still seeing parasites in the stool because the de-wormer has worked and they're either dead or leaving an unhealthy (to them) environment.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Seeing a lot of worms after treatment is a good sign that it is working.
PANACUR is a poison. And the correct dosage will kill the parasites. Too much can kill the tortoise.
Too little PANACUR could technically cause resistance in the parasites.
Always have a vet give you the dosage amount based on the type of parasite and the weight and general health of the tort.
This is important and not for a novice to guess with. It's one time I suggest spending the few bucks on a good tortoise vet.
Hopefully you'll be lucky enough to find one.
And in the future you'll have the information you need to self diagnose. More or less.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
The product you posted is 10.75% active ingredient. That is the strongest panacur product I have seen and the dosage required is probably going to be awkward. Although the 2 active ingredients various panacur products use are effective, this may not be the right product for the job.

I expect vets are offering online consultations these days. That is probably what you need.