Worming [emoji51]. How often etc?

bolts

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi, Had my little Hermann for 2 months now (he is around 8 months old). How often should I worm him?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hi, Had my little Hermann for 2 months now (he is around 8 months old). How often should I worm him?
I am going through the worming process right now with our sulcata tortoise. He had a very high pinworm count in his stool. I asked her about how often I should worm as a preventative. She advised me to only do so when the stool has a high egg count. Does your tortoise have worms now?

bolts

Uk
I am going through the worming process right now with our sulcata tortoise. He had a very high pinworm count in his stool. I asked her about how often I should worm as a preventative. She advised me to only do so when the stool has a high egg count. Does your tortoise have worms now?

Thank you. Not that I know of. I was led to believe it needed doing as a preventative measure. Now he has settled (I’ve had him 2 months). I might try and get him checked out for peace of mind.

bolts

Uk
Never medicate an animal unless there is a reason. Except for vaccines, which there aren't any for tortoises, only when there's a problem should any medicating be done.

Thank you. I was led to believe they needed preventative worming.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Thank you. Not that I know of. I was led to believe it needed doing as a preventative measure. Now he has settled (I’ve had him 2 months). I might try and get him checked out for peace of mind.
You're welcome. I didn't really know either until I asked.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Also, some vets not very experienced in tortoises have a kind of knee jerk reaction to finding worms in a tortoise.
Even a minor infestation doesn't usually warrant treating for them.
Worms are not particularly unusual and don't usually cause issues in robust and healthy tortoises.
I myself only treat if/when I find live worms in poo. (Usually it'll be found in the water pools.)
Live worms in the poo is not normal. It indicates a heavy infestation.
The treatment is a poison.
Make sure it's necessary

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Also, some vets not very experienced in tortoises have a kind of knee jerk reaction to finding worms in a tortoise.
Even a minor infestation doesn't usually warrant treating for them.
Worms are not particularly unusual and don't usually cause issues in robust and healthy tortoises.
I myself only treat if/when I find live worms in poo. (Usually it'll be found in the water pools.)
Live worms in the poo is not normal. It indicates a heavy infestation.
The treatment is a poison.
Make sure it's necessary
I have a question. When I brought a fecal to get checked by our vet, they said it was a +4. I didn't know what that meant, she just said that that means it's on the high side and she recommended me to do it and I did. Did I make the wrong decision? He was acting a little lethargic as well. I don't want to introduce poison to him if it isn't necessary. Sorry not trying to take over this post, but while people are discussing it I just wanted to ask. Thank you

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When a tortoise gets ill for any reason, the parasites can worsen the situation. Sometimes the illness IS the infestation itself.
If the tortoise is lethargic and has what a professional considers a high load. I'd treat. Just as prescribed and for as long as prescribed.
I just wouldn't treat with any poison as a preventative.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
When a tortoise gets ill for any reason, the parasites can worsen the situation. Sometimes the illness IS the infestation itself.
If the tortoise is lethargic and has what a professional considers a high load. I'd treat. Just as prescribed and for as long as prescribed.
I just wouldn't treat with any poison as a preventative.
Ok, thank you for putting my mind at ease.