World's largest Burmese Tortoise??

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
What do you think? Anyone seen or have a larger Burmese? Saw this on instagram today:

turtlesurvival TSA President Rick Hudson, is in Burma at the Lawakananda Wildlife Park, at the Burmese Star Tortoise Breeding Center with the largest known Burmese Star Tortoise, a non reproductive female. It's a balmy 107 F today, and we have over 2,000 eggs already in the ground from this Critically Endangered species!

Largest Burmese.jpg

adptorts

5 Year Member
California
My husband and I went there with TSA in 2014. It's an amazing facility! They have females bigger than that one there! Here's one of them.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My husband and I went there with TSA in 2014. It's an amazing facility! They have females bigger than that one there! Here's one of them.

View attachment 173841
Wow! what a treat to get to go there. That old girl has seen some wear! So much of her black coloring is worn off. It looks to me like that girl, while old and large, looks about 12-13" to me, as the two smaller ones look just like the 7-8" sub adults. The one the TSA president is holding and saying is the largest known, looks to me to be about 16" based upon the size of his hands and arms. I also would assume he would know if he had larger ones at that facility, and wouldn't present this one as the largest Burmese known?!

I know some members here are really excelling with Burmese in excellent conditions, and it seems some will, or have grown some this large (and smoother!) given the optimum conditions and time...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow! That is a huge female. That is as big as my larger SA leopards. I wonder what she weighs and I wonder why she is "non-reproductive".

I wasn't panning on mine ever getting that big. I was planning on them topping out at 10-12 inches. If they get that big, I'm going to have to change my game plan.

Hey @KenS and @skottip . Check out this thread!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wow! That is a huge female. That is as big as my larger SA leopards. I wonder what she weighs and I wonder why she is "non-reproductive".

I wasn't panning on mine ever getting that big. I was planning on them topping out at 10-12 inches. If they get that big, I'm going to have to change my game plan.

Hey @KenS and @skottip . Check out this thread!
My thought exactly!! That is an exciting prospect though!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That is a really big star....and 107F:eek::eek:

adptorts

5 Year Member
California
True! I just remember being super impressed with their animals and how many babies they were hatching. It was a once in a lifetime experience!

Wow! what a treat to get to go there. That old girl has seen some wear! So much of her black coloring is worn off. It looks to me like that girl, while old and large, looks about 12-13" to me, as the two smaller ones look just like the 7-8" sub adults. The one the TSA president is holding and saying is the largest known, looks to me to be about 16" based upon the size of his hands and arms. I also would assume he would know if he had larger ones at that facility, and wouldn't present this one as the largest Burmese known?!

I know some members here are really excelling with Burmese in excellent conditions, and it seems some will, or have grown some this large (and smoother!) given the optimum conditions and time...

adptorts

5 Year Member
California
So you got me all excited about having been there that I pulled up my old pictures for a trip down memory lane and found this. I'm pretty sure it's the same female.... She's a beast!

image.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So you got me all excited about having been there that I pulled up my old pictures for a trip down memory lane and found this. I'm pretty sure it's the same female.... She's a beast!
That is the same one! I wish they would post the length and weight. She is amazing!