World shame coast in COSTA RICA

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Aha, maybe we have just discovered why the sea turtle is going extinct & it is not the global warming hoax.

Please distribute widely
The Turtle eggs are stolen to be sold.
The planet is thankful for the forwarding of this email.

34imi6e.jpg

2dtpuo5.jpg

25iukhw.jpg

x5ttua.jpg

63u2hf.jpg

oucew6.jpg

20if6rt.jpg

3508c92.jpg

1eqmg6.jpg

20535s7.jpg

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have personally visited Costa Rica numerous times. This country takes care of its enviroment and has very strict laws protecting its wildlife. This must have taken place on a very remote beach.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
disgusting, no matter where it takes place. People have to live, but to wreck habitat and decimate a species?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If I remember correctly they are allowed to collect the eggs for the first 3 days of laying then they protect them (with armed guards) for the rest of the breeding season.

kimmer

5 Year Member
RE: World shame COSTA RICA - Out of Context

This e-mail and photos are taken out of context. The collection of eggs is legal and sanctioned. Here is a link that explains what is happening in the pictures.
http://bit.ly/ajIxPi

The egg harvest is an integral part of a long term conservation program that has resulted in a significant increase in the successful hatchings of Olive Ridley Turtles

I know that it is very distressing to see photos of people collecting the eggs. Arribada is a really incredible thing because so many turtles come up in so few days, but the amount of turtles that come to the beaches is too overwhelming for the area and they end up digging up previous nests anyway. The people of the village have 36 hours in which to collect eggs. After that the new nests remain undisturbed and are monitored 24 hours per day.

kemistree4

5 Year Member
Yeah I've been to Costa Rica and i believe what dmmj says sounds right. They're sold but they are also used as a source of food. The people there have been harvesting the eggs for a long time so its kind of hard to get them to stop. I think rather than trying to vilify them there should be some kind of program instituted to supplement the income they get from doing this. Because honestly all that love of nature goes out the window when you're struggling to put food on your own table. That being said I'm not saying its right, just that self preservation is base human nature.

O

optimus

i wasn't go to Costa Rica but the pictures you share are very painful we almost finish their growth shame on them egg thieves!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.