Woodlice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I have read lots of u use Woodlice (I think some call them Pill Bugs) to help controls bugs in the Table, I spotted those little white flea like bugs yesterday as well as tiny flies so I have added Woodlice to control it. I am just checking the Woodlice can not harm Shelby if she tries to eat them as Just after i put them in She spotted one and looked like she was going to pick it up, I moved her and put it under her big Slate. The Bugs have not been bothering her but I want to get them under control and have read Woodlice do this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Isopods (woodlice) just compete for food and space with the substrate flies and phorid flies. You will, in time, exchange one detrivore for another. They cannot harm your tort, unless she eats a lot of them on a regular basis and gets too much protein in the diet.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
OK thanks Tom. I thought i would give it a go as the tiny flies are getting annoying. I plan on keeping a eye on the Woodlice and when it looks like they have cleared the substrate and have stared to get out of control i will change the Substrate and I may be put just one or to in the new Substrate to keep it clear I new to expect bugs but i am surprised how quick they have taken over the table, I figure woodlice are better than flies and mites.
Happy New Year

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Haha. Pick your poison.

I've become very interested in Hermanns lately. Any recent pics of yours?

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Haha. Pick your poison.

I got one on Christmas day i need to take and upload more i have lost the link which lets me post the picture without the link

sorry i forgot to attach lol

well i attached this time but it is not on, I do not know why thought !

Tracy Gould said:
Tom said:
Haha. Pick your poison.

I got one on Christmas day i need to take and upload more i have lost the link which lets me post the picture without the link

sorry i forgot to attach lol

Ok i need to resize bare with me lol

25p4pvp.jpg

hopefully this will post

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
When I introduced woodlice into my 'Bioactive Substrate System" habitat, the number of fungus gnats (or whatever they are called) and springtails/snow fleas went down to functionally nothing. Of course, this is what Philipe de Vosjoli suggested in the book "The Art of Snake Keeping"

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
well at the moment i have Snow fleas and little flies, I only put 5 woodlice in but i know they will breed, I have read alot about using them to help clean the Table they are suppose to be good cleaners and will eat dieing leaves and even poo so i will give them ago till they start escaping out of the table lol

Status
Not open for further replies.