Wood Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
if i got a North American Wood Turtle in Virginia would i have to get a permit? They are endangerd in Virginia.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
wood turtle said:
if i got a North American Wood Turtle in Virginia would i have to get a permit? They are endangerd in Virginia.

Does the state of VA. allow 'laptops' in Jail so you can tell us yourself?
36_12_1.gif

Count on it W.T.

NERD

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
wood turtle said:

I don't believe there are any states here that allow you to have the North American Wood turtle. I think there are some in private collections that are "grandfathered" but I'm unsure if you are allowed to breed them and for sure you can't sell them. Danny would know more about this. Danny??

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm sure all the states that wood turtles are native to either do not allow you to have them or make you get a permit to have one.
The one state I know of (there might be more) that allow you have a wood turtle with a permit is New Jersey. Your allowed to breed them in New Jersey and sell the babies to people out of New Jersey. You just can't sell turtles in New Jersey. :rolleyes:

Danny

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Dan is right. I am in NJ and I LEGALLY keep and breed Glyptemys insculpta. Here in NJ they are native and threatened but with proper paper work and documents, they have made it possible for us to have them. Although I cannot make sales within this state, I can LEGALLY sell them out of state to states where they are allowed as well. Unfortunately I cannot sell to PA, NY, MA, and probably most other states in their native range, but I am unsure of your laws in VA. It would be in your best interest to look up your state's laws because you could possibly get fined for having this animal, and I'm almost positive you'd at the very least need some kind of receipt proving that it is NOT wild collected.

In NJ they DO NOT need to be grandfathered in but you 100% MUST be able to provide Fish and Wildlife with a legit receipt of acquisition from a breeder, seller etc....:)

wood turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your a answers they really helped me out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.