Wood turtle (central american) won't eat worms

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
Hey y'all, I'm looking for some advice on feeding protein to my wood turtle, Maya. She is completely uninterested in worms and dubia. I have only had her for a couple weeks, and she has come really far so I'm hoping in time she will come around but any advice appreciated!

I got her from Petco, where she was only eating pellet food, and I have gotten her to eat greens, fruit, and squash but I'm concerned about her protein intake. She has started coming up to me, which is awesome - at first she just hid in her pool all the time and hardly ate. I think she was so relieved to have water she didn't want to leave! At petco 2 were crammed in a TINY tank with only a little drinking bowl of water. For now I'm feeding her the Rep-cal tortoise food pellets the pet store was feeding her to give her some protein, and while I switch her over to better food.

And, since I know yall are going to ask abouther her habitat - she is in a temporary 2' x 4' enclosure indoors with a basking spot in the high 80s and UVB light, nice deep soil substrate with hides and a large pool. I'm still working on the top to make it completely enclosed (right now it is partially open), which will bump the heat and humidity. I'm on the coast in south texas so it is very warm and humid, she will love it outside here in a month or so.

Ummm.... I think that about covers it! Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190104_203943.jpg
    20190104_203943.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can try other things besides worms - unseasoned and cooled scrambled eggs, bits of cooked chicken, moistened Purina Pro Plan dry cat food, etc.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If he likes the tortoise pellets, switch to an aquatic turtle pellet. Very good for a staple food. With 40% protein, designed for a more carnivorous chelonian. Mazuri aquatic turtle diet. I also use the Mazuri Aquatic Carni-Blend Diet that I use to feed my sturgeon that requires a very high protein diet and sinking pellets- 47% protein.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
If he likes the tortoise pellets, switch to an aquatic turtle pellet. Very good for a staple food. With 40% protein, designed for a more carnivorous chelonian. Mazuri aquatic turtle diet. I also use the Mazuri Aquatic Carni-Blend Diet that I use to feed my sturgeon that requires a very high protein diet and sinking pellets- 47% protein.
You have a pet sturgeon? I would think they would need a very large aquarium . I would love to see pics!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You have a pet sturgeon? I would think they would need a very large aquarium . I would love to see pics!
I have a sturgeon in my pond. It is a 10,000 gal pond so I hope to be able to keep the sturgeon several years. Right now it is 2 years old and about 16". I love their prehistoric look. With all the windows in the pond it is great seeing "him" swim by as he constantly patrols. The hardest thing is getting a sturgeon to survive with other fish and turtles in the pond as they are feeders that need to almost stumble across their food. The koi and turtles are much more aggressive feeders and can take all the food before a sturgeon can get any. This was an experiment to see if I could find ways to get it fed and survive with the koi, turtles, bluegill, etc. I've had him just over a year now and we are now past that problem. He is doing great. He was about 8" when I got him.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I have a sturgeon in my pond. It is a 10,000 gal pond so I hope to be able to keep the sturgeon several years. Right now it is 2 years old and about 16". I love their prehistoric look. With all the windows in the pond it is great seeing "him" swim by as he constantly patrols. The hardest thing is getting a sturgeon to survive with other fish and turtles in the pond as they are feeders that need to almost stumble across their food. The koi and turtles are much more aggressive feeders and can take all the food before a sturgeon can get any. This was an experiment to see if I could find ways to get it fed and survive with the koi, turtles, bluegill, etc. I've had him just over a year now and we are now past that problem. He is doing great. He was about 8" when I got him.
That is so cool!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Hey y'all, I'm looking for some advice on feeding protein to my wood turtle, Maya. She is completely uninterested in worms and dubia. I have only had her for a couple weeks, and she has come really far so I'm hoping in time she will come around but any advice appreciated!

I got her from Petco, where she was only eating pellet food, and I have gotten her to eat greens, fruit, and squash but I'm concerned about her protein intake. She has started coming up to me, which is awesome - at first she just hid in her pool all the time and hardly ate. I think she was so relieved to have water she didn't want to leave! At petco 2 were crammed in a TINY tank with only a little drinking bowl of water. For now I'm feeding her the Rep-cal tortoise food pellets the pet store was feeding her to give her some protein, and while I switch her over to better food.

And, since I know yall are going to ask abouther her habitat - she is in a temporary 2' x 4' enclosure indoors with a basking spot in the high 80s and UVB light, nice deep soil substrate with hides and a large pool. I'm still working on the top to make it completely enclosed (right now it is partially open), which will bump the heat and humidity. I'm on the coast in south texas so it is very warm and humid, she will love it outside here in a month or so.

Ummm.... I think that about covers it! Any advice appreciated.
I think she will also be more willing to eat more and different foods as we get further into springtime.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I find them to be very plant biased in their diet , although I've not seen much they won't eat ….. the outside enclosure for mine is devoid of anything green …… they love grape leaves , plantain , rose of Sharon , dandelion , clover , anything that grows here …. I can't remember the last time I gave mine a worm , i'm sure they get some animal/insect food when outdoors ...…. I do give them dog food and koi or cichlid fish pellets once or twice every couple weeks …….. very hardy turtles , get them outdoors as long as possible , give them a spot to get warm outside and they'll use it …….. mine lay their eggs in winter dec-feb ……..

DSCF4854.jpg

DSCF4853.jpg

DSCF4863.jpg