Wood Sealant

Karensa3

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi! I’m new:) I am planning to get my tort baby hopefully by the end of the summer! I am still debating between a Russian and a Hermanns. I have purchased the ZooMed enclosure and plan to seal the wood to protect it from mold/etc. I got Eco Advance Exterior Wood Siloxane Waterproofer. It says it is spray-on application and breathable. It also says that it is water-based, odorless, water cleanup, and safe for use around plants, pets, and people. However, the warning label on the bag covering it says “keep this bag away from babies and children. Do not use in cribs, beds, and play pens. The thin film may cling to the nose and mouth and prevent breathing.” I’m guessing that is referring to the bag and not the sealant, right? So it would still be safe for my tortoise?

Also, should I seal the entire enclosure with this?

Attachments

• 9121A6D7-1306-48AB-870C-E05A3F5F17DD.jpeg
    9121A6D7-1306-48AB-870C-E05A3F5F17DD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't use that product, or the Zoomed enclosure. There are much better ways to go. The ZooMed house is too open for babies and the enclosure part is much too large. Then when the baby grows up, the enclosure is much too small.

An inexpensive plastic tub, or a large glass tank will make it much easier to hold in some heat and moderate humidity.

Karensa3

New York
Thanks for your response, Tom! I was planning to use a plastic bin for starters, but then when the baby is bigger I was planning to put two ZooMeds together to get a large enclosure. I just wanted to get that set up now too.