Wood chippers? Worthwhile?

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Since there are so many avid gardeners on this forum I was wondering if a small wood chipper is worthwhile buying? I don't want to spend too much so I was looking at the 3".

I have never used one. I don't know if I would find it useful or frustrating.

I was hoping to use it to mulch the stuff I was clearing out of the yard and then spread that mulch in our various flower beds/shelter belts/ etc.

I watched a video and it didn't seem to make very much...but I suppose it adds up over time...and I'm in no rush...

But if really doesn't make very much...or is a major pain to handle and maintain...I won't bother.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I've been wanting to buy one of those for quite some time. The girlfriend thinks I have too many tools as it is. Whenever I talk about buying a chipper she just gives me the blank dead stare. It's a scary look.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
We have one, in fact, it was the first thing we bought for our new house five years ago before we moved in. I shred lots and lots of all of our tree branches, green, dead, etc. i run our leaves through there in the Fall, etc. just need tomnot over load, not force things. Sure beats hauling things to a landfill.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I had mentioned myself dreaming of getting one on our "garden" thread. Soon after that post Yvonne had posted about herself getting one. I think she actually did get to use it. Perhaps she could give you some feedback as well @Yvonne G. As for myself, I still want one, just can't justify that spending right now with so many other way more pressing needs

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My parents have one, and I borrowed it for a couple of weeks to clear a few dead trees from my property. That thing is a beast. 15 horsepower and it is rated to take anything 3" or under, but I was able to jam it a few times with 1.5" branches. It didn't like the harder plum wood I put through it either. They are very loud and violent machines. It would snatch the branches from me and jostle them about. Even with heavy leather gloves it still bruised my hands. I had to learn how to spear chuck the branches into the machine and get my hands clear before the spinning jaws got hold of the branch. Definitely wear eye and ear protection.

The machine also lost a few nuts and bolts that had to be replaced because of the violent shaking. Then the weld broke where the feeding tube meets the unit. Had to re-weld that and then reinstall it. Maybe the brand and model I had wasn't such a great one? Its the only one I've used, so I have no frame of reference. It did the job though.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I borrow one from work whenever I need to trim branches. Like after a storm.
Get the most powerful one that you can afford. A lot of the "homeowner" types aren't worth having because they constantly jam and shoot branches backwards.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I borrow one from work whenever I need to trim branches. Like after a storm.
Get the most powerful one that you can afford. A lot of the "homeowner" types aren't worth having because they constantly jam and shoot branches backwards.
Glad you mention that. I wander if they have those for rent like at home depot or lowes

Rue

Canada
Thanks everyone! :)

Well...right or wrong I bought it.

It is an Echo Bear Cat SC3206. The guy used it one day for about 6 hours - and then put it away... it was too small for his needs and too labour intensive...and he didn't even want the mulch!

I can see it will be a bit of an issue for me too...it's very noisy...slowish. ..etc., however I think it might fit the bill as well. I wasn't planning on using it for hours at a time like this guy did...just for a bit on weekends when I am trimming branches and clearing brush...or for when we take down a dead tree. We took one down this year and have another three or so to go (in the periphery of the yard)...

We hauled all the small branches to the dump...now I can mulch them instead.

The mulch is a bit spiky too...so might not be the best for the flower beds...but it will be fine for the shelter belts where I am not on my hands and knees weeding.

When I have a chance to try it out I will post an update for anyone interested.

Rue

Canada
Do you have a urent? I know They have them for rent. Not sure if hd would

We could rent...I thought of that...but it wouldn't be handy for the irregular way I do yard work. I'd need to be more organized and spend a weekend at it to make it pay off. I think that might be too much for me physically as well. I am somewhat arthritic. Just gotta pace myself - which is why I work in small bursts .

I would have liked one that attaches to the PTO. ..but they are more than I want to spend as well.

Now I have to dig out my ear protects and dust off my safety glasses...don't wanna loose an eye...

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sweet. Sometimes is nice not to be on a time crunch safer too. Post pictures of results when you use it

Kyle