Won't go to bed on his own

EllyMae

Location (City and/or State)
Shellman, GA
My sulcata seems to like his heated hide, but he doesn't put himself to bed. Will he always need me to tuck him in and read a bedtime story, or will he eventually, with lots of repition put himself to bed?

I know a nightlight helped me at first. :p

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
My sulcata seems to like his heated hide, but he doesn't put himself to bed. Will he always need me to tuck him in and read a bedtime story, or will he eventually, with lots of repition put himself to bed?

I know a nightlight helped me at first. :p
How old is he? I got my Sulcata when she was 5 and her previous owners had her indoors from apartment to garage. I got her in the warmer months but she always went inside to her shed. The first November I had her she decided to did a burrow and that was the only time I had hard time getting her in at night. That being said I filled the burrow and made her shed much more inviting. Made her area bigger, warmer, and added a night box within the shed. In the summer there are many nights she falls asleep wherever and is just fine.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

Every night you will need to grab your tort & get him into its warm, protected nightbox. It should soon learn to go inside on its own.

Does it leave the box by itself?

Is there an easy entranceway?

Try picking up your tort at bed time and getting it right near the entranceway. Give it a nudge so it crawls in on it’s own.

Upload a pix of the nightbox - maybe we’ll see something.

One other option, is to lift up the entranceway so the tort can easily see inside...maybe its spooked by something it sees.

Good luck.

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
I don't know how old he is. I got him in April from craigslist. The lady had a bunch and said this (my) tortoise would enjoy the one-on-one attention of a single tortoise home. I know she reads this forum too.
I measured him on 8-14 at a 31cm carapace length. (Also, I'm guessing male, too young to really tell). He loved his burrow. Once it got getting cold, I covered it with bricks. Then he pushed them away and still got into it. It was going to be cold that night, so I used a trick I learned from a youtube channel about killing rodents. I stuck a garden hose down the hole and kept going until he came out. Then I put him in his heated hide. I've blocked off the hole better now.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I don't know how old he is. I got him in April from craigslist. The lady had a bunch and said this (my) tortoise would enjoy the one-on-one attention of a single tortoise home. I know she reads this forum too.
I measured him on 8-14 at a 31cm carapace length. (Also, I'm guessing male, too young to really tell). He loved his burrow. Once it got getting cold, I covered it with bricks. Then he pushed them away and still got into it. It was going to be cold that night, so I used a trick I learned from a youtube channel about killing rodents. I stuck a garden hose down the hole and kept going until he came out. Then I put him in his heated hide. I've blocked off the hole better now.
Hmm that is still kinda small. I would put him in at night and maybe give him a piece of squash then close him in! Maybe he will start a routine.
The big ones hold heat longer and seem to have more instincts on when to go inside.

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
Thats a good idea. Give him something to eat when I put him in to create a better association and pattern!

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
Greetings.

Every night you will need to grab your tort & get him into its warm, protected nightbox. It should soon learn to go inside on its own.

Does it leave the box by itself?

Is there an easy entranceway?

Try picking up your tort at bed time and getting it right near the entranceway. Give it a nudge so it crawls in on it’s own.

Upload a pix of the nightbox - maybe we’ll see something.

One other option, is to lift up the entranceway so the tort can easily see inside...maybe its spooked by something it sees.

Good luck.

He will leave the box by himself. The nightbox is off of the ground some. I have a couple of bricks side by side as steps. Then its an inch step up into it from there. I like the idea of putting him at the entryway. It hasn't been that long since it has been getting cold. I'm sure he will get it eventually.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
He will leave the box by himself. The nightbox is off of the ground some. I have a couple of bricks side by side as steps. Then its an inch step up into it from there. I like the idea of putting him at the entryway. It hasn't been that long since it has been getting cold. I'm sure he will get it eventually.

A little nudge sometimes is all they need to figure things out.