Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm counting wrong??

Looks like two ornata ornata, one three toe and two luteola (no longer called luteola, but I refuse to give it up).

My favorite indoor substrate is fine grade orchid bark. Outside they live on the natural soil plus lots of leaves.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Lol yeah, I thought 4 ornates and a three toed. But pretty cool.

Debbie Phillips

Arvada Co
I'm counting wrong??

Looks like two ornata ornata, one three toe and two luteola (no longer called luteola, but I refuse to give it up).

My favorite indoor substrate is fine grade orchid bark. Outside they live on the natural soil plus lots of leaves.

We lost one two years ago. I need to update photo. Thanks for the advice. I've been using grass clippings primarily but realizing that isn't the best way...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm counting wrong??

+1
They like to hide in leaf litter.
Make it resemble the ground if you were walking through the woods

L

LasTortugasNinja

Leaf litter and long shaves of tree bark (find them all the time in the woods). Recommend soaking the tree bark strips in a vinegar solution before putting it in the enclosure to "cook" any pests hiding in it.

For substrate, as others have said, the regular good ol' dirt is fine. If you are building a planter-style tall enclosure outside, make sure to have holes at the bottom to allow a little bit of drainage. Add a base of large river rocks for drainage, then fill with organic top soil. Plant hardy organic ornamental grasses and maybe a zucchini plant or two, and then place clean leaf litter all over enclosure. Easy peasy.

Debbie Phillips

Arvada Co
Leaf litter and long shaves of tree bark (find them all the time in the woods). Recommend soaking the tree bark strips in a vinegar solution before putting it in the enclosure to "cook" any pests hiding in it.

For substrate, as others have said, the regular good ol' dirt is fine. If you are building a planter-style tall enclosure outside, make sure to have holes at the bottom to allow a little bit of drainage. Add a base of large river rocks for drainage, then fill with organic top soil. Plant hardy organic ornamental grasses and maybe a zucchini plant or two, and then place clean leaf litter all over enclosure. Easy peasy.
YOu can see photo of our turtle area above. Thanks!