Won’t open his eyes

george.T.tort

5 Year Member
Hi people, My marginated tortoise just came out of hibernation yesterday afternoon. He self hibernated in my garden which he has done in numerous years. He stayed in hibernation a little longer than usual and longer than I would have liked. It took a while for me to find him and bring him back indoors. It’s not been 24hrs yet, but he hasn’t opened his eyes. He’s alive, but I think he is weak. He is under his heat lamp, and I will be giving him a warm bath when I get back from work. My other tortoise came out of hibernation a few weeks ago and is happily strolling around. They are both about 14 years old, and I’ve never had this issue before. I’m just a bit worried about him. I will give it a few days and a few warm baths and if he doesn’t improve he will have to take a trip to the vets. What do you guys think?
Many thanks, Paul

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
When you soak him, does he drink? Maybe you could try the carrot baby food in his soak. See if it helps perk him up.

Is there any chance he got some frostbite while sleeping outside? Your info doesn't say where you are.

He may not eat til his eyes are open, but you could try to coax him with treats, especially watery ones. Watermelon? Strawberries? Cucumber, or cactus pads? Except for the cactus, these are not good in his diet, but to get him to eat something, I would try it.

And make sure he's warm enough.

george.T.tort

5 Year Member
When you soak him, does he drink? Maybe you could try the carrot baby food in his soak. See if it helps perk him up.

Is there any chance he got some frostbite while sleeping outside? Your info doesn't say where you are.

He may not eat til his eyes are open, but you could try to coax him with treats, especially watery ones. Watermelon? Strawberries? Cucumber, or cactus pads? Except for the cactus, these are not good in his diet, but to get him to eat something, I would try it.

And make sure he's warm enough.
Thank you, I’ve not given him a warm bath yet, I will be doing that when I get home from work. He has his heat lamp so is warming up. I’m from the UK, we had a few frosts but he was well buried and protected. I will pick up some carrot baby food today and also strawberries as he does like them as a treat. Thanks again, I will keep you posted