With or Without D3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demo183

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
So I just got my first tortoise the other day (Russian) and he will be kept indoors except wen i can get him outside supervised. I was wondering which calcium supplements I would need for him, With or Without D3? Also how much to give him, just sprinkle on his food daily? Here are the lights that I have.

Daytime: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4282557&lmdn=Reptile

Night time: (Cant find the link) but it is an Infared (red) light for maintaining nighttime temperature.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
On average, how long do you plan to keep him outside supervised? This can help us decide if he needs the d3 or not.

demo183

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Honestly I don't think it'll be THAT often as I live in New England.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Where in New England are you located? I do without D3 in the summer when they are outside then with when I bring them in the fall with D3 I use a Powersun MVB with a CHE in the fall -winter

demo183

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
An hour north of boston, I mean the summer months are nice so I'll do my best during them, its also a matter of my schedule

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
demo183 said:
An hour north of boston, I mean the summer months are nice so I'll do my best during them, its also a matter of my schedule

Can you get them out every day for and 1/2 hour ? the more the better :)

demo183

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I can try i doubt i can everyday lol so would u recommend calcium WITH D3?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
coreyc said:
Where in New England are you located? I do without D3 in the summer when they are outside then with when I bring them in the fall with D3 I use a Powersun MVB with a CHE in the fall -winter

I do exactly as Corey has described and I live in New England :) Calcium + D3 is important if your tort is not getting out in the sun.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Honestly, there is not a lot of D3 in the calcium mix (probably intentional to prevent overdosing) so it really does not matter a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.