Wisconsin Reptile Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Are you talking the WIRE show? In Monona? If so I'll be there. Dark hair, tattoos---I'm kinda hard to miss lol.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yes on the 8th! States VFW 301 Cottage Grove Rd, Madison. I am hoping to go. If I get down there I will be looking for Dark hair and tattoos... lol Will you be there as a vendor?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
No, but friends of mine vend. I know just about half of the vendors personally and most of them by name lol. Last year was the first year there were tortoises present. It was very exciting. The vendor claimed to have bred all the animals himself, but when I asked him normal questions like, gram weight, hatch date, parents WC or CB he had NO clue. So I suspected he was a middleman.

Should be fun though ;) First show of the season! I'm hoping a gecko vendor will have something for me, and I am tentatively looking to add the pitter patter of little tortoise feets this summer again. Its been two years since I've raised a baby.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I was hoping to go to see about a small lizard to house with my RF - gecko, anole or maybe a frog, but I see it is Mothers day!!!! My mom has made reservations for lunch that day at noon. I have to see now how I am going to get there. :-( Maybe you know someone that has geckos for sale (ones that like humidity like crested or gargoyle). Since you are a gecko person, how much do they usually go for at shows? Do you know of any rescues in the area that may have them? Are there any other shows in the area if I am unable to make this one?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I would recommend a crested for a first gecko pet-wise. But I wouldn't recommend that you house them with a tortoise. New Caledonia where the gecko is from, is not even remotely close to South America, where a Red Food comes from. The geckos go high and low as well (I have about 25 geckos at home and I've seen it from everyone) so I would be worried about unwanted interaction between species. The geckos also eat their food off the ground, and I can't see them wanting to do that with a big lumbering "predator" walking around. Its a recipe for disaster in my book.

Anoles are all WC and loaded with parasites, another bad idea. Where they poop, the tortoise walks and you'll have a tortoises chock full of parasites in short order as well. Best to keep different species, seperate.

You'll find cresteds all over that show. 20-300$ is my guess. There will be lots there. But I wouldn't ever suggest housing one with your tortoises. The tortoise might be fine, but it spells disaster for the harmless little gecko :(

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Meg90 said:
I would recommend a crested for a first gecko pet-wise. But I wouldn't recommend that you house them with a tortoise. New Caledonia where the gecko is from, is not even remotely close to South America, where a Red Food comes from. The geckos go high and low as well (I have about 25 geckos at home and I've seen it from everyone) so I would be worried about unwanted interaction between species. The geckos also eat their food off the ground, and I can't see them wanting to do that with a big lumbering "predator" walking around. Its a recipe for disaster in my book.

Anoles are all WC and loaded with parasites, another bad idea. Where they poop, the tortoise walks and you'll have a tortoises chock full of parasites in short order as well. Best to keep different species, seperate.

You'll find cresteds all over that show. 20-300$ is my guess. There will be lots there. But I wouldn't ever suggest housing one with your tortoises. The tortoise might be fine, but it spells disaster for the harmless little gecko :(

Thanks Meg for the info. If I am able to make it I will definately look for you.... dark hair and tatoos.... lol.

WITortLvr

5 Year Member
Do they have many tortoises at this show? I've been to others in WI and they all seem to mainly be lizards and snakes.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
WITortLvr, This show was in in May I think. If you are looking for a show that has torts I would suggest the NARBC show in Tinley. It is something like Oct.8-9. It has lots of vendors and usually a pretty good selection, but of course all show could use more torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.