Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

As you all know winter is just around the corner. I know there are novice keepers out there in colder climates who are trying to figure out how to keep their bigger tortoises warm this winter, so here is what I do for Bob my 70 pound Sulcata.
I was fortunate to already have a shed on my property. It is 20' X 10'. I had a carpenter come in and totally insulate the inside and cover it all with plywood. It may not be pretty but it is warm and functionable...a Sulcata will just ruin anything fancy anyway.
This is the shed with the people door and the tortoise door...
11tvj85.jpg

You can see Bob's sleeping box with the heater on top and Queenie's tort table is next to that with the humidifier on top of that. Under her tort table is a pile of hay that Bob eats and rolls around in...
a3mcg6.jpg

The heater has separate controls and because it works so good I set it on the most energy saving and it keeps the shed really warm ...
2ylr3i8.jpg

Inside his sleeping box is whats called a pig blanket. It's a hard rubber mat with wire inside that makes it warm. His is on a thermostat control so I can make it warmer or cooler and Bob sleeps on it every night and has for the almost 4 years we've lived in Oregon.
2vc88c6.jpg

Queenie has a CHE Ceramic heat emitter that is on 24/7 but it's circle of heat is narrow so she also has a black light bulb on at night. I always recommend that you not use a pig blanket for any tort under 20 pounds so that is why Queenie has the CHE and black light.
11jnifk.jpg

Bob has a 250 watt Trex heat/UVB bulb for basking under during the cold weather. It is very hot and last year the wire holding it broke and it crashed down and burned Bob who evidently kept trying to get under it as it was laying on the wood floor and it had started to burn the wood. So if you use a bulb that hot make darned sure it is hanging tough.
2jea69j.jpg

We don't want our tortoises to have hard or gritty urates so they need to stay well hydrated all winter long. So in Bob's case he drinks from a dog water dish that he can't tip over. But he did get high centered on it last year and I laughed at him...
x1ap89.jpg

So I guess that's all I can think of. Bob being larger can go outside in colder weather than should a smaller tort because his core temperature will stay warm longer than a smaller tort. As an example I wouldn't let Queenie out iif the temp drops below 70 degrees, but last year Bob came out and played in the snow. So that's it please ask any questions you might have and you know we all will try to help...Here's a picture of Bob in case you haven't seen his previous threads. He loves squash and so he always has some on his face...
4qg1aq.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow, that is a very nice system you have there for the winter, you and the carpenter did a very good job :) What is the lowest temps you have in Oregon during the winter?

M

Maggie Cummings

Isa said:
Wow, that is a very nice system you have there for the winter, you and the carpenter did a very good job :) What is the lowest temps you have in Oregon during the winter?

It gets below freezing often but it doesn't stay that way long. Some days I'd say it hovers in the high 20's...we get snow but that doesn't last really. Bob has been known to go out in the snow and eat frozen grass...
Yeah the carpenter ripped me off, my part of it was paying him $800 on a $500 estimate...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, you might have ended up paying more for the job, but it looks good. Just chalk that up to experience. He evidently didn't take everything into consideration, and made a mistake in his estimate. Oh Well!!

At least your tortoises are comfy in the winter. Just imagine if you didn't have that nice shed and Bob had to live in the Dale Earnhardt Memorial Worship Room!!!!!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
No Yvonne then it would be the Bob and Queenie worship room :D
Nice job on the info Maggie and timely I must say. Though my weather today was 102 It's 7 pm and it is down to 85 so it will be cooling off this evening and this weekend they predict in the high 80 YaY. I am sure it will get down in the 50s soon enough. I'll be working on the tort room this weekend getting ready for those cooling nights and winter around the corner.
And I must say I just love Bob with the taditional Squash face :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I still cannot believe how big these Sulcatas get! Bob is a BIG boy and would be quite a startlling sight to the uninitiated. And I did, literally, laugh out loud at the vision conjured by your memory of Bob "high-centered" on his water dish! :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh Bob he lives the life of a king. You take such good care of your animals Maggie I'm so glad to see people like you. It's refreshing. Queenie is beautiful what a shell. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Robyn, It wasn't my idea. Marshman was asking about over-wintering in another thread. So that gave me the idea.

Stephanie, I laughed also to see him like that. I do think his dignity was ruffled tho...

Candy, thanks for the compliment, but I just give my animals the care they are supposed to have, I don't make a fancy pen like Terry does, (altho I'd LOVE to) and I don't always follow the rules like I should. I just know what works for me and my animals. Some keepers might disapprove as some of my care might be considered unorthodox...

As for Queenie, you can blame that one on Danny as I got her from him. I just feed her, he made her the beauty she is.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That was a great post Maggie. We are down to the low 60's here and today a lot of windy rain...59 - 60 degrees. I cleaned out Pio's viv and re planted it and he is in. Poor thing hasn't come out of his hide for two days. Tomorrow I will pull him out and feed him. He is just sulking now.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reminder post Maggie - great job! It's always great to see photos of Bob, his shed, his water/exercise bowl and I love the pics of Queenie - what a beauty!! It's been nearly 100 deg. here today and though I put Tank in his Rubbermaid shed at 8pm, I just checked and found him - again - nestled under the lilac bush...sigh....trodding out to say goodnight again and close his door for the night.

M

Maggie Cummings

katesgoey said:
Thanks for the reminder post Maggie - great job! It's always great to see photos of Bob, his shed, his water/exercise bowl and I love the pics of Queenie - what a beauty!! It's been nearly 100 deg. here today and though I put Tank in his Rubbermaid shed at 8pm, I just checked and found him - again - nestled under the lilac bush...sigh....trodding out to say goodnight again and close his door for the night.

Yes. I know most of you are tired of looking at Bob pictures but this thread was created for novice keepers who are having over-wintering questions/problems and I thought it might help them...at least these were different pictures...

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks, Maggie. It was very interesting to see how you turned the shed into such comfy winter resort for Bob and Queenie...lucky torts. I can never see too many pix of both of them.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Maggie I guarantee I never get tired of any of your pics especially Bob and Queenie Pics You could post them daily and I would sit here looking with a smile on my face and a good warm feeling.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
maggie3fan said:
katesgoey said:

Yes. I know most of you are tired of looking at Bob pictures but this thread was created for novice keepers who are having over-wintering questions/problems and I thought it might help them...at least these were different pictures...

I could look at Bob pictures every day too Maggie.....keep them coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.