Winter slump?

J c b

Location (City and/or State)
Santa ynez ca
Hello we recently inherited a large sulcata male. He lives outside in a large heated igloo. As the fall progressed he took to his home and does not move much .we have tempted him with foods but he just wants to sleep. His this normal ? We live in so cal so it’s not to cold here. 60 or 65 daytime, 78 * in his house,He’s been sleeping not pooping for three weeks is he ok? Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello we recently inherited a large sulcata male. He lives outside in a large heated igloo. As the fall progressed he took to his home and does not move much .we have tempted him with foods but he just wants to sleep. His this normal ? We live in so cal so it’s not to cold here. 60 or 65 daytime, 78 * in his house,He’s been sleeping not pooping for three weeks is he ok? Thanks
Its too cold. This species comes from a part of the world that is hot all year long. Igloos don't work for tortoises in our climate. They need a heated and insulated night box. You won't be able to do it in an igloo.

In our hot summers when temps are around 100 every day, I unplug the boxes. In spring and fall when we have warm sunny days, but cold nights, I set the thermostats to 80-82 because the torts can come out and bask to warm up every day. In winter, when we have our cold rainy spells, like right now, I set the thermostats to 86 ish, so their digestive tracts can still get up and running and function correctly.

Some of them seem to survive when kept too cold, but I have seen so many get sick and die from it. I've seen grown men crying over the loss of their tortoises. That really stays with you...

Anyhow, here are examples. For a single tortoise, you can do a 4x4 instead of a 4x8, but this will show you how to do the insulation and sealant:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/h...g-of-toms-night-box-with-exploded-view.97697/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-youll-need-to-build-a-night-box.171435/

Questions are welcome. Happy to explain more.

J c b

Santa ynez ca
Except as Tom said, the igloo will not work in your area. More care is needed. Reread his post and make the adjustments needed.
He’s been living in his igloo for 12years or so ,perfectly happy . It’s well insulated with added insulation better then a drafty old box . Ask Nanook ,any how that was not the issue , but thanks for the carpentry tips.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s been living in his igloo for 12years or so ,perfectly happy . It’s well insulated with added insulation better then a drafty old box . Ask Nanook ,any how that was not the issue , but thanks for the carpentry tips.
He's not perfectly happy and he's not warm enough. Not pooping or eating for three weeks is your clue. Happy healthy sulcata eat and poop every day. Believe me, I have to clean up after them. You can't keep them warm enough in a dog house or igloo. That design doesn't work for tortoises.

And this IS your issue.

J c b

Santa ynez ca
Can’t see what difference the shape makes if he’s 83 degrees in a box or a more spiritual round shape. The igloo is a Traditional structure round like our universe. works for eskimos.
not all of us like corners. if he was in his natural environment he would dig a borrow. no corners.Once under ground ,temp is constant regardless of outside temperature.
While I was talking to you bozos I asked a vet , he’s fine becomes dormant in winter regardless of temp as he has common sense.
Anyhow thanks for the info?
Might be turtle soup come spring! That’s life!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can’t see what difference the shape makes if he’s 83 degrees in a box or a more spiritual round shape. The igloo is a Traditional structure round like our universe. works for eskimos.
not all of us like corners. if he was in his natural environment he would dig a borrow. no corners.Once under ground ,temp is constant regardless of outside temperature.
While I was talking to you bozos I asked a vet , he’s fine becomes dormant in winter regardless of temp as he has common sense.
It's not the shape, it's the size. You can't have enough room for the heating equipment plus for the tortoise to be able to get away from the heating in a dogloo.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its sad that this unfortunate animal is in the hands of someone like you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow really! Little more care for the tortoise, like the people trying to help here, would be nice. If your doing everything right and your tort is fine then why does he have problems? My torts have never had too see a vet!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow really! Little more care for the tortoise, like the people trying to help here, would be nice. If your doing everything right and your tort is fine then why does he have problems? My torts have never had too see a vet!!
He called me a "bozo". After so many arguments and insults over all the years, I've got to say that this is a new one. I've been called so many names, but never "bozo". And he didn't even capitalize the famous clown's name. That's just rude! :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He called me a "bozo". After so many arguments and insults over all the years, I've got to say that this is a new one. I've been called so many names, but never "bozo". And he didn't even capitalize the famous clown's name. That's just rude! :p
BAHAHAHA that is rude! Lol