Winter slowdown for indoor torts?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a Cherryhead hatchling whose growth has slowed down significantly since the onset of cold weather. The little thing doesn't seem to eat as much, and I was wondering if it might be because I can't take him outside regularly. Rowan hasn't lost weight and is quite active on those days when I can take him outside. I've read that Cherryheads go through a winter slowdown period. Is slower growth what is meant by this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt that's the case, however, I really don't have much experience with RF tortoises. What is your indoor habitat like? A picture might help, but we'll need to know the temperature at substrate level.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All of mine have also slowed down. Because they can't effectively digest food at less than 80 degrees, they wont eat much. Make sure he/she can still drink and soak. And get into the sunlight as much as you can. I am assuming that your housing is spot-on. Like Yvonne said, it could be something I've taken for granted. What is your humidity level and general temperature?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have a Cherryhead hatchling whose growth has slowed down significantly since the onset of cold weather. The little thing doesn't seem to eat as much, and I was wondering if it might be because I can't take him outside regularly. Rowan hasn't lost weight and is quite active on those days when I can take him outside. I've read that Cherryheads go through a winter slowdown period. Is slower growth what is meant by this?

No slow down whatsoever here with the Redfoot Tortoise...but they are designed to not slow down "ideally"....I would suggest going down your checklist to assure all temps are still spot on---when the surrounding temps drop some then some tweaking may be necessary for the tortoise enclosure to remain correct....

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
My low temperature in the enclosure was 79 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday. I bumped up my thermostat for the house by one degree. Rowan ate quite a bit yesterday.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
It is not unusual for hatchling/young & WC torts to respond to shortening daylength (daylight period) with inactivity. In the wild, this allows them time to clear their digestive tracts so that brumation can occur without adverse intestinal decomposition occurring. Temperature may also have an effect in slowing down everything related to their activity but shortening daylength can trigger the same behavior regardless of temperature - a potentially dangerous combination if active but not eating or drinking.

You might try setting the photoperiod (the time the lights are on) to around 10 -11 hours and increase it by 10 - 20 minutes each week or allow natural daylight to illuminate the enclosure/room. The increasing photoperiod may trigger 'spring fever' and return your tort to its usual activity levels.

http://www.extension.org/pages/6140...ghting-requirements-for-reptiles#.VOSMr_ldV8E

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My controlled over night lows in my babies closed chamber get down to 76 degrees at night and up to 85 during the day. ( They don't seem to like it very hot.) Humidity is about 90% at night down to 80% day time.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Rowan's appetite seems to have increased. I've got the house temperature up, and I also had to end up replacing a cord because the heat lamp wasn't working. I also lowered the UV lamp so the little thing would get more exposure.