Winter Slow Down?

linaizzie

5 Year Member
Hi,
Over the last week, the temperatures in Jersey have dropped a good 15-20 degrees and while the enclosure of my two redfoots is still the same (95ish on the high and 82 on the low and hide with at least 60-70% humidity most of the day), one of the torts has not been eating nearly as much. Rake, previously the piggy of the two, hasn't really eaten (that I saw) over the last 3-4 days and only took 4-5 bites today. I've tried all sorts of foods. He drinks fine still and is active and alert. No leaky nose or puffy eyes or anything. Loves his soaks and explores and basks a little. When I first got Rake and Ruin I had a similar issue with Ruin, who now is eating like a pig. Rake looooved food and ate a ton. Was it a growth spurt thing? Do they slow down in the winter? I wouldn't think so since they're not a hibernating species and temps haven't changed. They are about 4 months old.

Any advice appreciated. I'm not worried yet, but am starting to be. How often do babies eat normally?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
most reptiles can tell the changing times by the length of days and intensity of the sun. were your torts outside during the summer? i kept mine outside during the day and since it's too cold here in ma they no longer go outside. they have definitely slowed down and i have a leopard tort that doesn't hibernate.

even if you torts enclosure is near a window they can tell the days are shorter.

i don't know of any other reason why your tort isn't eating. i would keep offering fresh greens and give it a couple of days.

linaizzie

5 Year Member
I got them in September as babies and didn't feel comfortable putting them outside yet. They are located by the window in the bedroom in their enclosure, so it is possible that they notice. However, the uv and heat is regulated the same way and turned on and off at the same times as before. I'll keep an eye on him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is true, that even while being housed inside, they do still know the seasons and weather changes of outside. Even aquarium fish will know this. That's usually when most people will loose fish, during the changing of temps outside. If all the temps and humidity, etc is fine, then I would say it has to do,with the outside winter weather coming on.

linaizzie

5 Year Member
According to my husband, Rake ate a lot more today. And he was definitely wandering around the whole enclosure.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Our leopard has slowed too. He spends about 96% of his day sleeping in his burrow and only comes out to eat and have his soak. He doesn't even lay out to bask anymore.
I feel him though, I hate winter too!

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
It's reassuring to see that this is common, even with tropical species. My greek has been lazy too for the last few weeks....at times only waking and eating evey other day. I think my tort hates winter almost as much as I do :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since redfooted tortoises don't experience a winter slow down in the wild, I don't think it would happen in captivity either. Take a good look at your husbandry and make sure everything is where it should be...lights, heat, etc.

Tort14U

10 Year Member!
Camano Island,WA
It's reassuring to see that this is common, even with tropical species. My greek has been lazy too for the last few weeks....at times only waking and eating evey other day. I think my tort hates winter almost as much as I do :)
Oh coolies! Norway is so beautiful. So many different types of sties to see, oceans, huge mountains, cool looking "other planet" scenery.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
Since redfooted tortoises don't experience a winter slow down in the wild, I don't think it would happen in captivity either. Take a good look at your husbandry and make sure everything is where it should be...lights, heat, etc.
Some of the research says that RF's living in harsher climates will aestivate so there is the possibility that they respond to seasonal shifts in day lengths/intensity.