Winter Is Coming...Kratky hydroponic growing experiment

PA2019

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
I want to increase my fresh weeds during wintertime so I decided to experiment with hydroponic indoor growing.

After researching the topic a bit I settled on one of the easiest hydroponic methods out there, the Kratky method.

I use 32 oz mason jars with the small mouth opening and my 2" plastic nets holding the rockwool fit perfectly.

I'm currently on my second round of growing. I messed up the first time by exposing the jars to light. Algae started growing in the jars and by the end of the 4th week my plants were dying. As I don't know how to sew, I bought a bag of cheap black socks and success! No more algae growth in the nutrient solution so far.

The pictures were taken 3 weeks after sprouting. I'm growing chicory, plantain and dandelions at the moment. I would like to try growing chickweed but need to find a good source of seeds.

Hopefully this gives other people ideas on how to grow fresh weeds during wintertime!

7E4649E4-04B1-4B84-83A6-EFDAADFBF953.jpeg
40FB25B6-03CC-4083-A049-D6E8D0E2B38C.jpeg
4B09FBFE-190D-40B3-87B2-EEB2C68DFB22.jpeg
485DD7BC-DC4B-4038-824C-5123968ADED0.jpeg
6720681A-82B2-4F00-8991-459C34671771.jpeg
99454117-268B-44DD-8431-AE7AE49E4AE9.jpeg

Kothy

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Connecticut
I use the Aero Gardens, you can purchase them from Amazon or direct from Aero garden. You can grow anything. I have used them for 10 years and I grow everything from vegetables, herbs, and flowers. Now I started growing Lettuce and stuff for my Tortoises. Nice because no soil and all are pest free.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
This is cool.
Can you start your plants from seed in that system?

To be honest I’m not quite sure. I planted 3 seeds in each rockwool cube and then placed the cubes in a Tupperware container in the fridge for a week. I found that the seeds from weeds need a cold snap to get them to sprout.
Once the seeds sprouted I placed them under a covered dome underneath the light to grow. I transferred them to the mason jars once I saw roots coming out of the bottom of the rockwool cubes.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
THis guy uses pool noodles and drain spouts to grow lettuce. He starts them in smaller trays then individually plants them in the pool noodle! WOW too much too do not enough time

Totally not enough time! I would love to make some kind of larger tub with holes drilled for the baskets andpump fresh air into the nutrient mixture. I believe I would get considerably larger and faster yields that way.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
To be honest I’m not quite sure. I planted 3 seeds in each rockwool cube and then placed the cubes in a Tupperware container in the fridge for a week. I found that the seeds from weeds need a cold snap to get them to sprout.
Once the seeds sprouted I placed them under a covered dome underneath the light to grow. I transferred them to the mason jars once I saw roots coming out of the bottom of the rockwool cubes.
Don’t sell your skill short growing weeds on purpose is a serious skill!

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I was able to get clover and broad-leaf plantain to work using the Kratky method.

The next plant I’ll be trying is chickweed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This setup is working great so far! I harvest every 4 days to not over stress the plants. I collect enough to feed 24 hatchlings for 3
days each time easily.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Doodlebug24

Utah
I use the Aero Gardens, you can purchase them from Amazon or direct from Aero garden. You can grow anything. I have used them for 10 years and I grow everything from vegetables, herbs, and flowers. Now I started growing Lettuce and stuff for my Tortoises. Nice because no soil and all are pest free.
I have 3 aerogardens. What do you grow in yours for your tortoise?

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I have 3 aerogardens. What do you grow in yours for your tortoise?

I grow dandelions, chicory, narrow leaf plantain, broad leaf plantain, chickweed, green leaf lettuce and some herbs (basil etc..) for myself.

Kothy

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Connecticut
I have had Areo gardens for over 10 years, I grow all my torts food with them, you can start with seeds.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest