Winter Adult Sulcata Housing

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I use an oil filled electric heater controlled by a Lux win100 thermostat. Works like a charm for me.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use an oil filled radiator type electric heater by DeLonghi bought at Lowe's. I use the lowest setting and the shed is a constant 85 degrees even when it's below 0 outside....

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I use an oil filled radiator type electric heater by DeLonghi bought at Lowe's. I use the lowest setting and the shed is a constant 85 degrees even when it's below 0 outside....
I bought my first at WallyWorld, then bought 3 more for other projects/backup on eBay.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I use the "hound heater". You can find it on the internet - company Hayneedle. Cost $114 so not cheapest option. But only 10.5"hx10.5"wx4.3"deep. Mounts directly to back wall of box. Has it's own safety shield so you don't have to build a box around it and thermostats to set temps.

Sib

5 Year Member
And yes. This next year, the enclosure gets much bigger.

I have a 12 year old male sulcata and a 4 year old don't know yet sulcata. My large male has been living in a heated shed outside for the last 2 years. He can come and go as he likes and will even come out into the yard when it is raining or when there is snow on the ground. He will come out several times each day to graze and then goes back in the shed to warm up. When it gets colder at night I close his doggie door completely so he can't get out until I open it. We use heavy duty vinyl strips on the doggie door to keep heat in the shed and cold out of the shed. I have vinyl flooring in there which he has mostly tore up so he has plywood floors and I put some orchard grass hay in there for bedding and to munch on for him. I have a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter, a 160 watt power sun hanging up for basking and a pig blanket inside his hide box inside the shed which he sits on a lot, he really loves the pig blanket. On really cold days I also use a oil filled heater which is on a shelf so he can't knock it over. I bought him 12 years ago as a month old hatchling weighing a few ounces he now is over 100 pounds and we live in WA state where it gets cold and rainy a lot but he has done well living here.

argus333

5 Year Member
sib.. sounds great just be careful with pig blanket i have one and used it for 6 yrs. with my big guy till last yr he had his penis out and burned the sh-t out of it on. i even had rheostat on it. i still use pig blanket just as a back up now and on cool summer nights only.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have a 12 year old male sulcata and a 4 year old don't know yet sulcata. My large male has been living in a heated shed outside for the last 2 years. He can come and go as he likes and will even come out into the yard when it is raining or when there is snow on the ground. He will come out several times each day to graze and then goes back in the shed to warm up. When it gets colder at night I close his doggie door completely so he can't get out until I open it. We use heavy duty vinyl strips on the doggie door to keep heat in the shed and cold out of the shed. I have vinyl flooring in there which he has mostly tore up so he has plywood floors and I put some orchard grass hay in there for bedding and to munch on for him. I have a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter, a 160 watt power sun hanging up for basking and a pig blanket inside his hide box inside the shed which he sits on a lot, he really loves the pig blanket. On really cold days I also use a oil filled heater which is on a shelf so he can't knock it over. I bought him 12 years ago as a month old hatchling weighing a few ounces he now is over 100 pounds and we live in WA state where it gets cold and rainy a lot but he has done well living here.

I have almost the same story only my Sulcata is 17. But he also goes out, rain snow sleet. Bob has also done well in the PNW. Where about in Washington are you? I'm in Oregon

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Lay naked on your garage floor. Feel the cold. Thank whatever you believe in for making you warm blooded.
The point of the concrete being covered is the cold that radiates off of it.
Concrete gets much colder than ground temperatures. My sully is 25 lbs lives outdoors full time. He can come and go as he chooses. I live in South Carolina and rarely ever is freezing but too cold for my tortoise.He has Toms night box with a heat pad (pig blanket) and a small radiator.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Here is some progress.. Not much left to do. I need to put some pieces across the bottom, frame around the door, order the door flap, hinge the lid once in place, paint, order a heater and..! Probably something else I'm missing... So happy with the progress I've made.
Oh also, I'm putting trim on the lid. View attachment 100773View attachment 100774
What's a good substrate for the box?
You might want to consider putting in struts to help lift the heavy lid. We bought automotive struts and they work well.