Winter Adult Sulcata Housing

ducksarecool12

5 Year Member
So I've been wanting sulcatas for years now and decided IT'S TIME. Ive owned and own other breeds of tortoises, but never the sulcatas. I've done lots of research on them, and I'm ready for the commitment. The problem is, I don't have their house finished. I'm starting with 3 adults (all around 35lbs 16-18") but I will be getting them months apart. I'm hoping to get the first one next week, but the temperatures outside aren't ideal for them to stay in. Currently its 70f during the day and 50f during the night, only getting colder as winter approaches. I have a shed, but its more or less a room with drywall, insulation, flooring, etc.. so I definitely don't want a dozer crashing around in there. But I do plan on making a "box" to put in there. Would an 8'x8' frame (12" walls be high enough?) be big enough for one and possibly two sulcatas for around two months until their winter housing was finished? What should I use as the bottom, plywood? substrate? Heating?
Could they stay in their 24/7 or should I carry them out periodically when the temperature was..? I know this kind of setup is not ideal, but would it hurt for up too two months? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ducksarecool12

5 Year Member
I could possibly make the enclosure a few feet bigger by putting it in the garage, but then it would be on concrete?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
8x8' is too small for one 18" sulcata, and you should never keep them as a pair. They are likely to hurt themselves in such small confines, especially if they are used to having more space. I wouldn't do it.

Where are you?

I would wait to get them until you have a suitably large heated area to keep them in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I could possibly make the enclosure a few feet bigger by putting it in the garage, but then it would be on concrete?

This would be better. Just make a plywood floor under them and add a bunch of orchid bark for substrate. Are you sure you can keep the garage suitably warm? It needs to be mid 70s at night and warmer during the day, plus a large basking area too.

ducksarecool12

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply! So they couldn't be kept as a pair even for two months? I'm getting them all about a month apart from each other, but the time I get the third, the winter house should be complete.
What size would you suggest I make the pen for the garage? I don't want to invest a lot of money into since it won't be permanent... Oh, and what would you suggest I use to heat the enclosure in the garage?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It only takes a few minutes for them to damage each other if there is a problem. Some times they will be fine for weeks and then one day you'll come home and find one dead. Its just not something that should be done. Its too stressful on them, especially in a little indoor enclosure.

I'd give them the whole garage. They need room to move. I don't know how to heat an area that large.

Where are you?

I am going to bow out of this discussion. I would prefer someone who keeps these giants in colder climates to advise you. I don't have any experience keeping large ones indoors. My juveniles move outside full time with a heated night box once they hit about 10". It is a nightmare keeping one that size indoors. I can't imagine keeping a larger one inside. I wish you best of luck, and I'll be happy to help you out in areas that I do have experience.

ducksarecool12

5 Year Member
Wouldn't I need to heat a smaller area for them? The winter housing I've seen for them are pretty small buildings, but they still get to go out and explore then come back when they are cold. But wouldn't having a heated area and the rest colder be the same?
I'm in Oklahoma.

So should I divide up the space I'll be housing them in until all three are together?

Thanks for all your help, and anybody else that helps! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are two kinds of heat you need to worry about. There is ambient which is the overall temp of the air in the whole garage, and then there is the basking area. Ambient should be at least 75-80 all the time and then a large basking area with temps in the high 90's for them to warm up. A third area to be concerned with in your case is the floor temperatures.

I think you need to work out all these details and figure out what works and what doesn't before you bring a tortoise home. They need the correct temps and conditions on day one. You don't want them out in the garage, or somewhere else, while you are trying to figure out how to keep them warm enough when its cold outside.

Okay. I lied. I didn't bow out...

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I come from a wet/cold climate and Tom is 100% correct in what he is telling you. You're in Oklahoma? Y'all get snow there, right? I mean sure we get snow, average of 7"-10" max total a year. On the flip side of that we get 48" of rain a year. 50° and cold drizzle is bad enough.

ducksarecool12

5 Year Member
Trust me, I won't bring them home until they will be cared for and safe. Tom, I don't think you quite understood what I was trying to say. ( I don't get my text across very well...) But winter housing boxes that many sulcata owners use are not that big at all, and its my understanding that they stay in these for most of the cold winter days, coming out to explore in the cold a few times a day? So if I had an area the size of one of these boxes that was warmed, and the rest of the garage being cold representing the outside, wouldn't it be the same?

When do your sulcatas start using their winter houses? Temp. wise.

Ps: Oklahoma does get snow ;)

ducksarecool12

5 Year Member
Would furniture pads work? I have a ton of thick pads and they are probably warmer than plywood.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Here's the thing. What you're after is insulating qualities. Nothing will be “warmer"on its own. The pads might work in a pinch, but they'll hold all the moisture from deification and also have the added negative bonus of possibly being ingested.

ducksarecool12

5 Year Member
I found this picture on google, it is NOT mine. But what is wrong with this type of setup? My shed setup would be similar only it wouldn't have a door, but I could bring them outside regularly when it was nicer outside and let them get some exercise.

Attachments

• tortoise-table-i14.jpg
    tortoise-table-i14.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 123

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
I've got a very harmonious group of Sulcatas. Their yard is something like 78'x34' in the middle is a heated box. The group consists of 1 65-70lbs female, 2 males about 50lbs each a little saddle back one about the size of a cinder block, and my 15 month old Little Ricky about 3lbs. The first 4 have lived together in peace for a couple years. Every now and then, the submissive male will act all butch with the dominate one. Stanly,(dominate) will basically walk on the submissive one and that's the end of it. This group is passive enough that I had no real concerns when putting my pride and joy, Little Ricky out with them. Did I watch like a hawk for 2 days? You bet I did. Here's the thing. This is unique and by no means something that regularly happens with sulcata. I've got 2 others that live completely alone because they are in no way peaceful. And I've had to farm out 4 others for the same reason.
Best case for you would be a heated box, 4'x8' at the end of a maybe 8'x24' warm box all contained in your garage. Complete with UVB lights and sides to keep in the heat. You'd be looking then at 5 sheets plywood for the hot box and 18 sheets for the warm box. This is IF they get along.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Your link picture would work if you have something better that lights for heat. And IF they get along with each other. You certainly need a plan B for alternate housing if they don't.

ducksarecool12

5 Year Member
Dang.. I'll just get my one box done first. That's a big waste of money and material putting them in my garage. I don't quite understand what the difference is if the winter box was placed inside vs in the garage? You guys are saying the whole garage has to be heated, but if it was outside only the box would be heated, not the ground outside or the air? Ill just focus on getting their winter box together.
Do most sulcatas not get along? I haven't heard much of them not getting along, should I be worried when adding them and only put them together when I have all three?
One last thing... Cowboy_Ken, your pen with your sulcatas seems pretty small from what I've read they should have especially with as many as you have.. Definitely not bagging on your setup, but I was worried about my current space they would have (approximately 70'x100') for three of them? Ive got much information from both reliable and non reliable sources so now its coming together whats really true. Being mis-informed is very confusing.. :/

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
I've got lots of sight barriers in it and it's a part of our pasture. The food is none stop growth and they don't always see each other.
The normal sulcata would rather be alone. They see others as food competition as well as shelter competition and just overall competitors for everything.