Will Plants Grow in Fir Bark?

Happytort27

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello! I saw some fir bark at my local nursery so I decided to pick up a bag or two. I have a full spectrum grow light, so I was planning on scattering just a couple of seeds in the enclosure. (I also have coco coir underneath the bark.) Do you think it’ll grow?

Attachments

• 4161DE8A-1D33-4E28-8F67-A592944A5702.jpeg
    4161DE8A-1D33-4E28-8F67-A592944A5702.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 13

Agathaade

Los Angeles
I bought a bag of the same bark at the local plant nursery the other day for my outdoor enclosure, and found there were lots of chips of wood in it too. The bark bits are great but the the wood bits feel sharp and too many! I got a bag of repti bark for the indoors enclosure to compare.
Lmk if you have the same issue? I’m wondering if this was a bad batch or just the quality if that brand.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I grow pothos in my tortoise enclosures. I repot cuttings that have taken root into small Tupperware containers with holes drilled into them for the plant and for water to escape, and use a mix of mulch and bark as the growth medium.

Pothos can grow in anything so long as they have some water.

Jamie

Happytort27

CA
I bought a bag of the same bark at the local plant nursery the other day for my outdoor enclosure, and found there were lots of chips of wood in it too. The bark bits are great but the the wood bits feel sharp and too many! I got a bag of repti bark for the indoors enclosure to compare.
Lmk if you have the same issue? I’m wondering if this was a bad batch or just the quality if that brand.
I didn’t have that issue at all. For me the bark was a little on the larger end (understandable, because I didn’t buy the fine grade one), but I didn’t find any wood chips in it. It was just pure fir bark. Strange...

Happytort27

CA
I grow pothos in my tortoise enclosures. I repot cuttings that have taken root into small Tupperware containers with holes drilled into them for the plant and for water to escape, and use a mix of mulch and bark as the growth medium.

Pothos can grow in anything so long as they have some water.

Jamie
Thank you all for the information!