Will my tortoise fall off a balcony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortLife

Location (City and/or State)
Myrtle Beach
Hi,

My g/f and I would like to let our tortoise sun on our balcony. We are wondering if our tortoise would be aware of the balcony's edge or if it would just waddle over (and down).

Thanks,

Silky and Breezy Mae

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Same thing as with an in-the-ground-pool - some tortoises seem to have no depth perception and will walk right off the edge, while others are very aware of the danger and will stay away from the edge.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
There is the possibility it will walk over the edge, so not to be risked.
An non-climbable and immovable barricade is the safest option.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Yes. The tortoise will fall off the balcony. The question is when, not if. One real danger comes from thinking its okay because it hasn't happened yet. Be safe, not sorry. Whatever you use for the walls, make sure it can't be climbed.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
At my grandparent's apartment I once saw a tortoise almost falling down a 9 storey drop. We managed to get the owners alerted just in time. She had already managed to get one leg over a shallow ledge going around the balcony. Don't risk it.

Joo

5 Year Member
NO !
I live in a country with lots n lots of high rise apartment. Yes, I have being hearing tortoises falling off the balconies.

PyroLou

Suffolk
I often wondered if mine ever managed to (somehow!) slide her vivarium open if she'd walk of the edge. So I slid it open and watched to see what she'd do. She stomped over to the edge and looked down. And she just stayed there, peering straight down, it was like she understood she couldn't just walk off. HOWEVER. I was sitting there with my hands outstretched ready to catch her. I would not have left her like that because as much as I love her, I don't think she's very bright! I wouldn't risk it from a balcony. Where I live, a lot of people use a kind of flexible bamboo cane fencing on their balconies, I'm not sure what it's called but it comes in rolls and it would be super easy to tie onto your balcony. Like this:
5434596439_d58f6bbe3a_b.jpg

I've never seen it up close or touched it so I don't know if they could push through it and I'm not sure if bamboo would hurt if they had a nibble, but if the health and safety of it all checks out it's the cheapest option I can think of.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I often wondered if mine ever managed to (somehow!) slide her vivarium open if she'd walk of the edge. So I slid it open and watched to see what she'd do. She stomped over to the edge and looked down. And she just stayed there, peering straight down, it was like she understood she couldn't just walk off. HOWEVER. I was sitting there with my hands outstretched ready to catch her. I would not have left her like that because as much as I love her, I don't think she's very bright! I wouldn't risk it from a balcony. Where I live, a lot of people use a kind of flexible bamboo cane fencing on their balconies, I'm not sure what it's called but it comes in rolls and it would be super easy to tie onto your balcony. Like this:

5434596439_d58f6bbe3a_b.jpg

I've never seen it up close or touched it so I don't know if they could push through it and I'm not sure if bamboo would hurt if they had a nibble, but if the health and safety of it all checks out it's the cheapest option I can think of.

It really has very little to do with intelligence. A water turtle will dive right off what it is set on because it thinks it will be cushioned by landing in the water, its natural environment. A land turtle will usually stop at a precipice, peer over or walk the edge and explore other possible ways down. However, if none is found, they will gradually slide themselves further and further over the edge until they drop. In other words, I agree with the previous negative responses. It is never OK to leave any turtle or tortoise unprotected from its' own natural impulses. No matter how much a petkeeper may love it, a turtle wants to move on to greener pastures and more natural experiences than it would ever receive from a keeper in captivity, no matter how loving.

Last edited by a moderator:

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I seem to have managed to post a response in the middle of your last post. Sorry about that. I hope the moderators can clean up my mess.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I seem to have managed to post a response in the middle of your last post. Sorry about that. I hope the moderators can clean up my mess.

I don't know if I cut out the correct words. Did I manage to get your post out or have I cut out the wrong thing?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't know if I cut out the correct words. Did I manage to get your post out or have I cut out the wrong thing?
Thanks Yvonne, you got it just right!

Probably not but when my tortoise comes to the edge of our kitchen table she looks down and steps back. However there is a possibility that she may accidentally reverse off of the balcony. :( You could always border off the sides with wooden planks but I still would only let her on it whilst you were there and watching her.

P.s: This reminds me of the scene in Esio Trot where the tort walks off the edge of the balcony and lands in an old lady's shopping cart!

panch_cheese-with-tortoise_falling-dwn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.