Will it be big enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
I am planing to make an indoor enclosure for my redfoot tortoises during the winter months. Is a 40sq ft area big enough for 7 adult tortoises? I personally think this is rather a small area but I think it may work because winter time here in Florida is 2-3 months max.

Also if the area is big enough i plan to make a frame around it and cover that in some type of plastic (not sure what kind of plastic to use though) so that it wil easily hold in humidity from a homemade misting system. The area where I plan to put this enclosure is near a good sized window so they will receive sunlight throught the plastic but im not sure about UVB rays though.

And I have been looking for the right heater to use in the enclosure too. I think I read somewhere on here that an oil raidiator type heater is the best kind to use? Need some input from redfoot keepers who have done this kind of thing before!

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John:

That's not very big for that many adults, but its for such a short time, it may work out ok.

Would it be possible to make a heated shed in their outdoor habitat instead?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you can't make a heated shed outside,you could use the same kind of plastic they use for hoop greenhouses, or the heavy duty plastic you get in packages in the painting section of most hardware stores. You could zip tie it on?
Would an area that size accommodate an oil filled heater? People do use them in heated sheds. In that case, they tend to make a secured area like a shelf to keep the torts away from it.
UV light does not pass through glass. However, if your torts get it 9 months out of the year, you may not need it, just basking lights, etc.
Seems like that size could work for just 2-3 months.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Oh I definitely knew that it was too small but i figured that since it was just for 2-3 months that it would work out.

I have been trying to locate a shed but a shed's cost plus the cost of insulating it and everything else is way out of my budget. Unless I can find one on craiglist or something that is already insulated for a decent price but after about 5 months of looking for one like that nothing has turned up.

I still have about a month and a half or so to get everything ready before it even starts to get cool. So I have time to get things ready. Hopefully I can find a shed that I can afford but if not the indoor enclosure is my plan B so far unless anybody has an other idea because Im out!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Go you your plan B inside enclosure so you have time to work on it. Trying to get these things set up at the last minute is difficult!
You can keep your eye open for a shed over time, but even if you got one now, cost, time to insulate it, etc., would prevent you from using it right away anyway.
Your indoor idea sounds fine because it is only up to 3 months.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think it might work for a temporary measure, though they will be cramped, as for finding a shed, have you checked freecycle? all type of crazy things pop up on there, I even found 4 RES once, you can also ask for stuff in case someone wants to get rid of something.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I have never heard of that site before but i am definitely going to check it out. Thanks dmmj!

Status
Not open for further replies.