will high humidity hurt?

Rat

Location (City and/or State)
georgia
I’m getting a young hermann’s tortoise soon. i live in georgia where the humidity can get very high especially during the summer months. will it be safe? i know low humidity can cause pyramiding but what happens if the humidity is too high?

LeahK

Berkeley CA
If you haven't seen it yet, here is the Hermann's care sheet: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

You should really check it out! It has some good information on there.

What are the temperature and humidity in your house (or where the enclosure will be) right now? If you don't have a temperature and humidity probe, you should get one to check it out, because you will need it anyway.

I am not sure where specifically you are or what the readings in your house is, but in Atlanta, I see the temperature is 75 and the humidity is 87%. In your enclosure, I would expect the temperature to be higher than that, which would drive the humidity down a bit. I doubt having too high of humidity in your enclosure will be a problem.

As to what too high of humidity would do to Hermann's, I don't know! Hopefully someone can come along and say :) But overall I doubt it would be a problem in an enclosure in your house.

This is a fun question for me right now, because I am currently setting up my incoming hatchling Hermann's enclosure right now, and I am waiting to see what the temperature and humidity readings say :p

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
High humidity good.
Wetness or super moist substrate no good.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your baby should be housed in a closed chamber where you control the temps and humidity for around 3 years of age. During that time they can go outside for 1/2 to 1 hour a day or so. Then eventually live outside 24/7. The humidity won't be a problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m getting a young hermann’s tortoise soon. i live in georgia where the humidity can get very high especially during the summer months. will it be safe? i know low humidity can cause pyramiding but what happens if the humidity is too high?
High humidity won't hurt a thing. Your climate is similar to where they are from.